CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Valve clearance problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012 | 07:16 PM
|
Default Valve clearance problems

I checked the clearances on all my valves, they were all within spec. I measured each shim individually and put them back before moving on to the next one so I know they arent all out of order.

When putting it all back together I have pretty much NO clearance at all! Let me know if I did something wrong putting it all back together that is causing this problem

-First I rotated the crank until the T| lined up with the notch.
-I then put the Exhaust camshaft (including the sprocket) in its place with the EX lined up with the face of the deck pointing towards the outside of the engine.
-I then in about 4 steps tightened down the camshaft holder in the numbered order
-Next I did the same with the fully assembled intake camshaft, IN line flush with the deck facing the outside of the engine. And tightened down the holder.

I turned the engine over at least 4 times and all 3 timing marks still lined up perfectly but when I go to measure the clearances for ANY of the intake lobes the.

At one point I did have both camshafts out and I neglected to mark their exact location on the chain. This shouldnt matter though right because as long as the engine is lined up at TDC and the camshafts are are lined up everything should be correct right? Help me cbrforum.... you are my only hope.

Old 03-24-2012 | 08:17 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2

I'm a little confused on your procedure. In order to verify clearances you do not pull
the shafts. You measure the clearance between the lobe and the bucket (with the
correct positioning of the camshaft). Often the clearance is fine and no adjustment
is needed.

If the gap between the lobes/buckets is out of tolerance, THEN you pull the camshafts,
remove the bucket and measure the shim under the bucket. Based on your previous
measurements, you replace the shim with one that will open/close the gap to get it
within the specified tolerance.

The size of the individual shims will vary and is irrelevant to properly adjustment.

Let me know what's up after reading this, and we can try to get your issue corrected.

Ern

Old 03-24-2012 | 08:29 PM
|

All the clearances were within spec but this was the first time I had ever gotten this deep into my engine so I decided to pull the camshafts anyway and and get a better idea of how the valves worked.

The procedure I spoke of was basically how I was trying to get my engine timing back to normal, I wasnt sure if this was the proper procedure though so I wanted to see if I was doing something wrong.

Old 03-24-2012 | 08:47 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2

https://cbrforum.com/forum/stickies-...-guide-101969/

Here's an interesting read, see if that helps, Ern

Old 03-24-2012 | 08:51 PM
|

I definitely used this and the honda manual as a guide. Thanks though, if anyone else has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

Some sources said that you should install the camshafts first and then once you have the holders bolted down you should attach the sprockets I didnt try this method though.

Old 03-24-2012 | 11:27 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN

Just concentrate on the #1 cylinder. At any time when you turn the crank do you get your previous clearance ... within spec?

Old 03-25-2012 | 12:19 AM
|

Originally Posted by chainstretcher
Just concentrate on the #1 cylinder. At any time when you turn the crank do you get your previous clearance ... within spec?

The only time I cant get a the 1st cylinder within clearance at any point, I can only get one of the 3rd cylinder's valves to get clearance within spec. I guess ill have to take it apart again for the 5th time, make sure everything is sitting pretty and try again.

Even when i get clearance on that one valve on the 3rd cylinder, the other ones have ZERO clearance so something major must be going wrong.

Old 03-25-2012 | 08:36 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Hootie233
The only time I cant get a the 1st cylinder within clearance at any point, I can only get one of the 3rd cylinder's valves to get clearance within spec. I guess ill have to take it apart again for the 5th time, make sure everything is sitting pretty and try again.

Even when i get clearance on that one valve on the 3rd cylinder, the other ones have ZERO clearance so something major must be going wrong.
I have two suggestions here. 1 is slow down a little and make sure you're putting your thoughts down clearly. If you read your statements above, it's a little hard to follow and I'm not sure exactly what you're saying. We feel your frustration and we want to help. 2 is that when you're checking the clearances, you will only be able to check 2 specific sets of valves at a time. For example, you check the #1 and #3 intake valves at the same time. All the other valves will have zero clearance with the crankshaft/camshafts in that position. (if I've just stated the obvious, it bears repeating)

Old 03-25-2012 | 10:38 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN

Exactly. What I suspect is that you have the timing off. So you will get clearance at the wrong point. Have done it myself ... everything off 180 degrees.

Old 03-30-2012 | 10:19 PM
|

Thanks for the help guys. I got the bike all back together. Started it up right away but then my bike started pouring gas out uuuuuughhghghhghgash@!!#!#!#

The fuel line joint that swivels and connects the 1/2nd and 3/4th carbs right down from the fuel tank is leaking like a mother. I dont understand why, I didnt even mess with my carbs. I might just end up buying some new carbs rather then dealing with figuring out this stupid leak.

Quick Reply: Valve clearance problems