CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Up And Down Shifting...

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 06:27 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Up And Down Shifting...

I was reading in another thread about the F3's being, "clutchless up-shifting." Assuming this is correct, is it also proper to use the clutch when downshifting, when approaching a stoplight for example?

I've been riding pretty much like this; when moving from a stop and into second, I use the clutch, from third on, I do not use the clutch. When I am braking at a complete stop, I'll simply downshift without the clutch until I get to second from first. Also, when moving through an intersection, if I must reduce speed, I'll simply downshift without the clutch and throttle through the turn.

Is this the, "correct" way to be riding this bike? I know there are other acceptable practices, but being my first bike ever, I'd like to know I'm not destroying it, heh. Thanks for any advice.

Old 10-08-2006, 07:24 PM
Default RE: Up And Down Shifting...

use the clutch, your putting alot of strain on the trany by just banging a gear , your also goin to make the rear wheel slow down to fast cuasing it to skid , specialy in the rain or comeing into a turn if your not ready for it the *** will come right out from under u from not useing the clutch and bliping the throtle a little while down shifting can help too , helps match engine speed with the rear wheels speed, unless your racing on a track i would use thew clutch to b safe since u dont have alot of riding experience.

Old 10-08-2006, 08:48 PM
Banned

Gotcha.

What about up-shifting? Same principle?

Also, When I accelerate from first from a stop, I am hearing a faint clicking sound. It sounds like its coming from the rear. Any guesses as to what this might be? I can't honestly tell if it's done it from the day I got it as I'm just getting really comfortable. I've only had it for 5 days, so I'm sure it's probably done it since I had it. I wouldn't think that five days of riding has allowed me to already tear something up.

Thanks for the input.

Old 10-08-2006, 11:50 PM

not to sure what that clicking could b , prolly nothing , bikes make noise , sometimes wierd ones lol , make your your chain is clean and well lubed , at low rpms when takin off the trany will make a little noise somethimes , ide have to hear the noise myself to ive u any futher input , all in all the f3 is a great bike , u shouldnt have any problems with it , u will want to change the cam chain tensnor to a manual one , thats about the onlything ive ever had a problem with, and i run the living crap out of mine on the track with 20,000 miles on it.
o yea with up shifting u can shift without a clutch , that doesnt strain the trany as much as long as u to it right, as soon as u start getting off the throtle u can shift up and it should slip right into gear but make sure u get off the gas a little before trying it, just takes practice , if your more comfortable using the clutch just do it that way , dont listen to what everyone else tells u , ride in a way u feel safe.

Old 10-09-2006, 11:39 AM
Banned

Yep, CCT is in dire need of replacing.

I noticed this morning when I took my girlfriend to class that accelerating from a stop with her on back killed the noise... ??? Strange. When I dropped her off and took off, there it was again. On a hunch, I took off slowly from the next stop and it made no noise. Only when I'm liberal with the throttle does it make the noise. Don't know if that narrows things down any further.

Thanks again for the help.

Old 10-09-2006, 03:36 PM

Clicking in the rear... Old chain, chain needs lubing, or chain is out of adjustment.

Old 10-09-2006, 09:59 PM
Banned

Where do the majority of you guys buy parts, Honda or an aftermarket distributor?

Thanks.

Old 10-09-2006, 10:48 PM

ebay , buy a 520 vortex conversion , its 150 with shipping and all , its a smaller chain and sprockets which means less rotating mass , so u will notice a defernce in acceleration , it will take off alot faster in each gear and have more pull

Old 10-10-2006, 11:29 AM
Banned

How will it affect top end riding? I plan on taking this on many more road trips and I'd like to not be at cruising speed on the highways at 8-9K RPM's.

Appreciate all the info, though, I'll check out that conversion kit.

Old 10-11-2006, 02:07 PM
Banned

One more question on this thread...

How do I determine whether the chain needs to be tightened or loosened? I read on the 600RR forum that there are two bolts on the rear of the frame that are used to do this, I think I could manage the job if I only knew how to measure the amount of slack needed in the chain.

Thanks again for all the info, guys.

P.S. I did a search and only found some similar responses in the 600RR forum, and I'm not sure if they are mechanically similar. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Up And Down Shifting...