CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Turn signal lag

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 06:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn signal lag

Hi guys, I have a question for F3 owners.

Is it normal that there is lag when I activated the right turn signal ?

It doesn't happen in warm weather. The colder it is outside, the longer the it blinks when I push the switch. When it is between 5 to 10 Celsius, the lag can be as long as 5 seconds. Really annoying especially in city traffic.

The left turn signal is always instantly blinking.

Thanks

Old 10-08-2013, 11:20 PM

One side of the turn signal relay activates the left and the other the right. There is a common that links when the switch is activated. Sounds like the relay may be at fault through crud on the switch or connectors that takes some time to build up the charge to fire the bulb. Check the socket and connectors for corrosion. If everything checks out, then you might need a new relay.

Old 10-09-2013, 06:59 AM

Thanks, I'll check that out.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator
Received 497 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by gpfan1
One side of the turn signal relay activates the left and the other the right. There is a common that links when the switch is activated. Sounds like the relay may be at fault through crud on the switch or connectors that takes some time to build up the charge to fire the bulb. Check the socket and connectors for corrosion. If everything checks out, then you might need a new relay.
If I were a betting man, I'd go with the actual turn signal switch contacts are dirty. I had the same issue on my 98 and was mostly noticeable in the mornings when it was cooler. I took it apart, cleaned all the old grease out of switch, cleaned the corrosion off the contacts, re-lubed it and put it back together. The switch moves so much more easily now and they light up instantly.

Old 10-13-2013, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by IDoDirt
If I were a betting man, I'd go with the actual turn signal switch contacts are dirty. I had the same issue on my 98 and was mostly noticeable in the mornings when it was cooler. I took it apart, cleaned all the old grease out of switch, cleaned the corrosion off the contacts, re-lubed it and put it back together. The switch moves so much more easily now and they light up instantly.
Thanks for the hint! Is it complicated to disassemble the switch components? What did you use to clean it up?

Old 10-15-2013, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by HondArai
Thanks for the hint! Is it complicated to disassemble the switch components? What did you use to clean it up?
no it took me 10 minutes and some liberal use of dw40 to clean it i then smeared some yellow grease on it which was dumb because 6 months later it is now dirty again and playing up i would use a 3in1 oil or something relatively light to lubricate the contacts maybe castrol dwf?

Old 10-22-2013, 07:34 PM

I just opened the switch assembly by simply unscrewing the 2 screws. The inside was all dirty and sticky. I sprayed generously some sensor cleaner. It seems to work, but I'll test it for real tomorrow morning when it will be near freezing point.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:40 AM

It passed the test this morning! It is almost freezing point right now and at worst, it takes half a second to start blinking. I can live with that! Much better than 6 to 10 seconds

Thanks a lot for everyone's help !

Old 11-09-2013, 09:47 PM

The problem still persist when it is very cold . Like when it is minus 5 Celsius , the 0,5 second delay can go up to 20 - 30 seconds which is totally ridiculous . Since i've cleaned it , it has improved but still not perfect as when I blink the left side . I'll try some other stuff to make it better...

Old 11-10-2013, 12:10 PM

You ride at -5? Damn, where I come from that's about 23F=cold as hell! You Canucks are some real men, we are soft down here in the states. I don't even think about getting on my bike unless its 60F+ (15.5C).

Quick Reply: Turn signal lag