CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Turbo Or 900rr swap.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 11:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo Or 900rr swap.

OK I want to turbo my f3 and i dont know were to start. I know i most likely how to custom make the who kit but i wanted to ask the f3 owners of this great site for some insite/help. like want kinda bottom end and top end will be good, and wat kinda PSI could i run. and other things. thanks

OR if it would be a better route doing the 900rr swap. and power wise.

Witch one do you guys think would be cheaper. Either way im going to build each motor.

Thanks Again.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:26 PM
Default RE: Turbo Or 900rr swap.

welding your own manifold will be difficult...i did a turbo kit from scratch on my car.

IMO...just buy a bigger bike cause thats a lot of work to make everything before the carbs pressurized

Old 12-23-2008, 11:42 PM

But I want to keep my f3 FOREVER and some day get a bigger bike. But if every one just got new things when they got slow or broke then BLA. and it would be a super sleeper. I love the look of my f3 also so i kinda want to make it a project of mine. But yeah i do want a NEwer Fuel injected bike. But i just cant turn away from my f3 it was my first bike too . something i can baby after its done and pass on to my kids some day, Maybe if i make it that far lol [:-].
Thanks again

Old 12-23-2008, 11:55 PM

i was in that i want my f3 forever phase...

my heart skipped a beat once i saw her though...it was love at first sight

<<<

Old 12-24-2008, 06:57 AM

I agree with buying a bigger bike if you want more power. A turbo for the street is not going to perform very well. You want very crisp throttle response. Its very important on a bike, much more so than on a car. You can deal will a little lag in a car, on bike, its just miserable. You will need quite a bit of boost, modifiy all sorts of things other than just getting the turbo to fit depending on how extra power you get out of it. That bike is designed to handle a certain amount of power. you add too much more, the chassis will not beable to handle it. Im not just talking stress, I mean putting the power down also. The last thing you want is a bike that doesnt react the way you think it will.. thats when crashes happen.

It wouldnt be much of a sleeper. Its gonna be pretty hard to hide it. Also, I would guess at least 2 grand to do it yourself. Probably around 4-5 if you buy a kit, maybe more. The gains your going to get to me really wouldnt be worth the cost. If you were drag racing, then yeah, absolutely, on the street, probably not.

I dont want to sound negative, if you really want to do it, then go for it. It would be pretty cool if you got it to workout. Justweigh the work involved and the payoff.

But, you also said you want to keep your F3 forever. The best thing to do is buy a different bigger bike, keep your F3 the way it is, especially if the plan is to pass it on. Just keep her in her glory.

heres a link to a company that does it on drag race bikes.. Bigger bore bikes. I would give them a call or send them an email. Describe what you have and Im sure they will be able to let you know what your in for.

http://www.bigccracing.com/shop/about.asp?pageId=32

Old 12-24-2008, 07:10 AM

ORIGINAL: justasquid

I agree with buying a bigger bike if you want more power. A turbo for the street is not going to perform very well. You want very crisp throttle response. Its very important on a bike, much more so than on a car. You can deal will a little lag in a car, on bike, its just miserable. You will need quite a bit of boost, modifiy all sorts of things other than just getting the turbo to fit depending on how extra power you get out of it. That bike is designed to handle a certain amount of power. you add too much more, the chassis will not beable to handle it. Im not just talking stress, I mean putting the power down also. The last thing you want is a bike that doesnt react the way you think it will.. thats when crashes happen.

It wouldnt be much of a sleeper. Its gonna be pretty hard to hide it. Also, I would guess at least 2 grand to do it yourself. Probably around 4-5 if you buy a kit, maybe more. The gains your going to get to me really wouldnt be worth the cost. If you were drag racing, then yeah, absolutely, on the street, probably not.

I dont want to sound negative, if you really want to do it, then go for it. It would be pretty cool if you got it to workout. Justweigh the work involved and the payoff.

But, you also said you want to keep your F3 forever. The best thing to do is buy a different bigger bike, keep your F3 the way it is, especially if the plan is to pass it on. Just keep her in her glory.

heres a link to a company that does it on drag race bikes.. Bigger bore bikes. I would give them a call or send them an email. Describe what you have and Im sure they will be able to let you know what your in for.

http://www.bigccracing.com/shop/about.asp?pageId=32
I agree.its not worth it.at all..With that money i'd buy a 1000rr And have probably the same power as the 600 turbo if not more.And the 900rr swap on the f3 in my mind isnt worth it at all either.why do all that work for an extra 10 hp.whats an extra 10 hp?..thats nothing..only way i would do that if my motor blew then i'd look into it.but if your motor is fine dont worry about that swap.

Old 12-24-2008, 07:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't even consider a turbo on a motor that I hadn't gone through to verify it's overall condition (and more than likely rebuild with the proper components). It's not something to be taken lightly, especially on a motor that old.

Keep the F3 as is and buy a bigger bike.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:06 AM

You guys are all right I really do want a new bigger bike. Even if its just a newer 600 or something. But i do like the 05 1000rr. and with the newer EFI bikes they do have alot more mods you can do for more power. And yeah a turbo is i guess a bad idea and i also didn't know that the 900rr swap was only 10 more HP. Well thanks for the info guys i guess ill just put a fairing kit back on her and let her be. and the motor is suprisingly still Supper strong so i guess shes a over all good bike still. So if i dont have to sell her to get a newer bike, ill just let her sit after i get one some day. Any body have any good suggestions on what kinda bike to move up to after a new rider with his f3 as a first bike that wants to step up his power and skill. I get bored with my f3 now.

And as justasquidsaid about the bike handeling so much power, my bike now kinda of loose control easy with the power it has and if i try to control it to quick. So the verdic is Niether then.

Thanks Very much guys. Now i can explain my self if i want to sell it for a newer one , or thell just make me keep it till i save up for a newer one, but my parents always tell me what do you need two bikes for.

Thanks again.

Old 12-24-2008, 02:04 PM

If your going to have two bikes, I dont know if I would have two sportbikes. I would probably have a sportbike and a sport touring bike, or maybe a supermoto. I dont think I could justify having two bikes that were built for the same thing. I doubt I would ride them both. I"ve tried it in the past with snowmobiles, having two, and the slower, olderone just sat in the garage all winter. I guess what Im saying is, once you ride a newer bike, you really wont want to ride your F3 anymore.

as far as what bike to move up to.. Its hard to say. Your experience on 600 is a great starting point and you can pretty much move to anything you want. I moved from an F3 to a 1000RR and had no issues at all. You've gotten your skills you need from your F3, the Liter bikes just demand a little more respect when comes to use of the throttle. Most of all, it depends on the individual. I've seen guys that have been riding for 10 years that shouldnt be on anything larger than a 125 based on thier maturity level.

The bottom line for what your next ride should be really depends on your wallet. A nice bike would be any early 929,954,1000RR. Even a switch of brands to an 02 on up R1.

I think once you do get a ride on a bigger bike, you wont worry so much about adding power. Liter bikes put out the same amount of torque just off idle that a 600 makes at its max. Until then, enjoy the bike you have now. Just being able to be out on two wheels is a blessing in itself.

Old 12-24-2008, 07:57 PM

Thanks for the responds guys.

Quick Reply: Turbo Or 900rr swap.