CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Tuning my F3

Old 04-29-2010, 01:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning my F3

Ok, I am trying to tune my 98 F3 on a budget using the usual performance upgrades that most people do such as air filter, exhaust, jet kit. My local shop in Hawaii quoted me a price to tune my bike of $1000, this seems very steep to me. Is this price fair or close to it? Do I need a jet kit with my D&D slip on since they are the only shop around? Can I do it myself? Any input would help, thanks. I have all the parts just need to know what all of you would suggest.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:43 AM

I just found out that you need a jetkit if you want your bike to run properly after doing modifications like, exhaust, header, so on and so forth. So, I would say invest in the jetkit, however, I could also be wrong, because I'm new to this whole bike thing.

As far as the quoted price you got, then, I don't know what to tell you about that. I know here in Louisville, KY., there is a shop called "R&D", and they quoted me at right around 300 to do a valve adjustment, clean/rebuild my carbs, and correct my idle, so, that's cool. Maybe Hawaii is just more expensive? IDK.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:57 AM

JetKit NOT NEEDED for just a slip on and airfilter just turn your fuel/air mixture screw (pilot screw) out 1 turn.......I'm at 800-900 ft elevation D&D Slip on, UNI air filter.............Headers/Full system exhaust=jetkit

Old 04-29-2010, 09:28 AM

You do not ever, ever, ever NEED a jetkit; You just need to adjust the needles you currently have to compensate. If you're only adding a slip-on exhaust, then you're not really modifying airflow anyway, so you shouldn't need to do ANY tuning. In fact, the F3's all came out of the factory running a tad rich, so increasing airflow helps to balance that out. If you're budget-concious and want the best performance, get the jetkit first. The slipon exhaust will add no *noticable* improvement; the only reason you'd get one is the better sound quality. Save your money after the jetkit, and get a full race exhaust, then re-tune.

If you've got an F3, you better learn to tune it yourself, r you're gone go broke right quick. $1000 sounds like the shop just doesn't want the hassle of dealing with carbed bikes anymore. The one buy me will do it for $250. It's a huge pain, and will totally kill a day, so it's up to you what your time is w3orth.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:35 AM

Oh snaps. I thought you needed a JetKit? That's cool that you don't. Now I don't have to spend money that I don't have. Thanks!

Old 04-29-2010, 09:54 AM

Yeah, but you're missing the point. A slip-on exhaust is NOT a performance mod. On average, you'll gain like 2HP; you can get the same perceived performance boost AND save money by laying off the cheeseburgers. It's the worst bang-for-your-buck performance mod you can do, so it seems odd that it's your first pick when you stated you're budget-concious. If you REALLY want that exhaust, look for the full race version used on eBay or in the classified section. At least then you'll get that boost you're looking for.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:11 PM

Wow, well I was totally off the mark as far as tuning knowledge. I was under the impression that any modification made to the bike either air or exhaust required a jet kit. Well thank for showing mw the light point well taken guys.

Old 04-29-2010, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by johnnyx
Yeah, but you're missing the point. A slip-on exhaust is NOT a performance mod. On average, you'll gain like 2HP; you can get the same perceived performance boost AND save money by laying off the cheeseburgers. It's the worst bang-for-your-buck performance mod you can do, so it seems odd that it's your first pick when you stated you're budget-concious. If you REALLY want that exhaust, look for the full race version used on eBay or in the classified section. At least then you'll get that boost you're looking for.
Dude,you're steering him all wrong.I get 2-3 hp differences using different pipes alone.

You DO need a jet kit.Yes,you can do this yourself.

Get a pipe.Titanium if you can.Make sure the pipe is packed.A lean pipe will harm your cylinder head over time.

K&N and UNI air filters are the suck.Paper only.

Go to a 520 chain and sprocket kit.

Maintain your tire pressure.

Do this,holla back.Then I'll walk you through degree-ing your cams.

Old 04-29-2010, 10:24 PM

I'm with Johnnyx. Slip-ons are a waste of money performance wise. Sport Rider did a comparison not long ago with all the current 600s with several exhausts. Maybe 2 or 3 showed a hp increase and it was measured in tenths, not even a full hp. A few actually lost some. They did full exhaust and all showed improvement. I wouldn't recommend a jet kit for any modification. There's nothing wrong with stock needles. What lil difference you get off the taper and diameter of jet kit needles you'll never know or feel. Shim your stock needles and play with the main jets and fuel screws. Your wallet and butt will thank you. I get my shims from Radio Shack. They sell a pack of very small washers for about 2 bucks, 100 come in a pack in 5 different sizes. Invest in a full system, make sure it's a 4-2-1 not 4 into 1. Get a good air filter and jet your carbs yourself. I'd buy jets in 1-3 sizes over stock. jetsrus.com is cheapest place I've found to buy them (and I buy quite a few).
As for degreeing your stock cams...bear in mind all you're doing is moving power from one rpm range to another. If you gain topend, you'll give up some on the bottom and vice versa.

Old 04-29-2010, 10:45 PM

A SLIP ON PIPE AND AIR FILTER DO NOT NEED A JET KIT!!!!!!!!!!!! IT'S THAT SIMPLE...IVE SEEN IT IVE DONE IT MULTIPLE TIMES ON MULTIPLE F3'S.......
Kjohnson did you just tell this man to stick with the stock airfiler!!!????? so a k&N and a uni that flow more air and are cleanable suck..you must be high....or just a typo??....degreeing your cams is good if your riding and tuning specifically for the track not for street unless youve got major other motor mods that require a dif cam/timing...im with the other guys on this slip-ons are for looks and sound without headers...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tuning my F3