CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Trying something new...

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 02:28 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying something new...

Okay, so in my new found love, I've decided to try out the MotoGP shift pattern.

So... anyone done it on an F3? Pretty much straightforward? I know what the result is supposed to be, I'm just unsure of the correct way to get it there.

Anyone have any ideas to offer? Does the linkage need modded? Extended, shortened, or just flip it? Any help is appreciated.

Also, I'm guessing if there is no modification to the actual linkage, the swap is reversable as well... right? Just asking in case I don't like it, who knows.

If anything, it'll be the perfect reason to not let anyone ride my baby, haha. Thanks for any input.

Old 03-18-2007, 04:42 PM
Default RE: Trying something new...

So this would make 1st at the top and 6th at the bottom? Interesting concept.

Old 03-18-2007, 04:47 PM

I think you can just flip it, then reajust the shifter height. Why don't you just try it? All you need is a 10mm wrench, it's either gonna work or not work

Old 03-18-2007, 05:10 PM

I may try it just to see if it works. I am doing some work to mine tonight anyways. Do you flip the entire assembly or just the actual shifter?

Old 03-24-2007, 12:56 AM
Banned

Hmm... so that's weird.

I think I like it, and I can definitely see the advantage of flipping it for aggressive riding - but dang it's weird. I rode for about an hour and a half tonight after I made the change. Gotta admit that there were a couple of times where I blanked out and reverted to what I know, haha. I would be preparing for an entrance to a nice stretch of corners and I instinctively tried to downshift... which resulted in actually upshifting the bike completely throwing me off the turn itself and ended up having to grab brake, slown down and straighten up... grrr.

I wonder if those racers have their personal bikes set up that way as well? It's gonna take some gettin' used to , but I'm gonna give it a whirl.

Old 03-24-2007, 12:58 PM
Banned

I've been looking for a longer shift linkage for my bike since when I flipped it - it makes the shifter set a little higher at rest.

I've adjusted it about as much as it will safely go, but I'm thinking a longer linkage will be the fix. Anyone know where to get one? I can't seem to find one when searching for shift linkage.

I did however find some shifter kits. Sounds interesting, anyonehere have one installed and used them? Do you like it? Does it deliver what it says? I can't really see myself ever missing second on a blast again now that I'm hammering down on the shifter instead if pulling up - but who knows? Might be worth it.

So, anyone know where to get longer linkages? And, anyone have a shift kit installed on a bike with the MotoGP shift pattern, and if so, how does it feel to ya?

Old 03-24-2007, 02:08 PM
Registered Users

what did you do to it? just flip the shifter? is it ackward use?

Old 03-24-2007, 04:46 PM
Banned

Very awkward at first, but I'm getting used to it.

What you do is take the two bolts (10mm) on either end of thelinkage rodand loosen them. Then you take your wrench and remove the bolt on the knuckle(?) that is connected to the transmission gear sticking out the side of your bike.

At this point, you'll notice the knuckle(?) is resting at a 6 o'clock position.

Then you slide that knuckle off and put it in a 12 o'clock position. Now just reinstall the linkage rod onto the knuckle and shifter lever - then adjust it so the lever is where you like it (up or down).

What this does is now when you press down on the lever, it makes the linkage pull in a counter-clockwise direction as opposed to how it was... which would make the linkage pull in a clockwise direction. You have essentially reversed the shifting pattern.

I'll take some pics if anyone wants to take a look. The whole process takes about 15 minutes. I'll change it back and take some pics doing it all over with... if anyone wants me too.

It's pretty cool and it has a real function if you like riding twisties and hanging off the side of the bike. Now if you're hanging off the bike and you want to downshift, you don't have to raise your left leg out of it's position, you just downshift by pulling up on the lever. Makes it sooo much easier to keep your riding position while gettin' on it.

Old 03-24-2007, 05:57 PM
Registered Users

very interesting, i had a similar thought, but didnt think it'd be that simple to pull it off, like you said perfect reason not to let anyone mess with mah bike[:'(] i'd be interested in a few pics if it isnt too much of a bother, do you stunt at all? think it would make shifting during a wheelie any easier?

Old 03-24-2007, 10:08 PM

Hey kid. if you could do a DIY with pics that would be great.

I get what your saying, I just like pictures.

Plus gives you and excuss to ***** out your pic.