CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Trany f'd? Help, 50sec video to watch. HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 05:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default !FIXED! Trany f'd? Help, 50sec video to watch. HELP

Hey guys, not sure if my trany is shot or not. Please watch my video. The actual clunking sound is faint to hear, but you can hear it. Espicaly in the last 10 seconds of this short 50sec clip

Basically engine runs fine and this is a clip of first gear only, I only hear is clunking noise in first and second gear, sometimes 3rd. Even when driving, I can only faintly hear it, and I cant feel anything. BUT I am terrified that it will suddenly pop or lock up when Im on the high way. This bike is off the road till this is fixed.

The best way I can describe this clunking is like snaping the throtle on the off and then on again, and the sound (not the jolting feel or motion) just the sound of the chain crackin on the sprockets is sorta like the noise I can hear.

Please watch this video and help me figure this out, my poor poor f3.

VID-20120323-00000 - YouTube

Remember the clunking is faint due to my exhust, but the last 10 seconds or so really let you hear it (its totally random so listen please)

Last edited by fatluke_nofx; 03-27-2012 at 05:03 PM. Reason: problem is fixed now
Old 03-23-2012, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

Do you hear this sound while riding, or only when it's on the stands ?

Old 03-23-2012, 07:14 PM

When riding.... heard nothing to date, got off hi-way this morning and at first stop light when I pulled away I noticed this noise, after 2nd gear the wind was too much to hear any more. Like I said, no vibration or feeling, its just noise- but somthing is wrong and I feel it will get much worse if I dont fix this now.

So yes, I hear it when riding as well. Any thoughts?

guys, 47 views and no ideas?

Last edited by IDoDirt; 03-23-2012 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Double Post
Old 03-23-2012, 09:10 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

How old is your chain? I think the chain is bad. If you watch the chain closely behind the foot peg everytime you hear the noise the chain jumps up and down.

Old 03-24-2012, 08:25 AM

I was hoping chain too, it is defently dry and where the master link is, always seems to tighten up on the front sprocket... tighten up or bind- but only so faintly, I wouldnt assume it to cause the problem. And I just had it saftyed, and one of the problems was lose chain and bad tires...

So when they put my new tires on they saw the chain for sure.

Its made for a rr1000

Old 03-24-2012, 01:49 PM

Doubtful, but easy to check - Could your manual cam chain tensioner be out of adjustment?

Old 03-24-2012, 03:35 PM

Thanks for the ideas so far guys. Well, im gonna get some chain oil tonite and grease it up a bit, and also check the tensioner- gonna losen it till it rattles then slowly tighten it till all rattle is gone.

BIG maybe, but these are simple little tests to see it it does anything. My buddy also recomended to see it the starter spring is old and worn, causesing the starter gear to periodicly slip onto the flywheel, causesing the clunking noise.

My bike shop aint open till monday, so anything to keep busy till then and scratch it off my list.

Thanks for the ideas so far, please keep em commin. Anyone experience this noise before?

Old 03-26-2012, 01:13 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is no spring that engages the starter motor, so it isn't the starter motor. I would turn the rear wheel by hand and look for some links in the chain that are locked in place. I think you've got a bad chain going on. Just to confirm, I would also pull the front sprocket off and let the engine turn the tranny in first gear at an idle. Make sure the chain is absolutely clear of the drive shaft. DO NOT FREE REV THE ENGINE WITHOUT A LOAD!

Old 03-26-2012, 08:44 PM

seems like a good idea, is the nut holding that sprocket on set to a certian torque? how would I remove it? and what do you think it may show me when i take it off?

Old 03-27-2012, 04:59 PM

so i took it to my local shop. Worn spot on the chain, causing it to occasionaly slap on the swing arm. In fact to area is worn so lightly he told me not to even bother with a new chain, but to just keep it greased. However if it stretches much more in the next 30 days to replace it then.

Easy stuff, keep it greased. He also jokingly recomended to wear ear plugs and stop imagining that every little noise is bad.

Yea!

Quick Reply: Trany f'd? Help, 50sec video to watch. HELP