CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Thinking about selling my F3

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 04:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by murdocity
I'm planning on doing work this weekend. I'm gonna clean all the hoses and see I that's the problem, if not then I gonna give it a try at the carbs. But I got a hunch it might be hoses or air filter or vents. thanks for looking out, blakesgst
Be patient Murdo and it will pay off. I honestly had to pull my carbs off 10-12 times over a peroid of 3 days to get my bike running properly. You can do it!

Blake

Old 10-30-2009, 05:19 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Checking the air system is a good idea as well. Took 3 pulls of my carbs and rejetting the bike to discover the flat spot had nothing to do with the carbs at all.

Air solenoid wasn't routing the high speed air from the ducts. Caused a flat spot right around 5k in 2nd (higher in 1st, lower in higher gears)

Old 10-30-2009, 05:31 PM

^^^ holy crap!! thats where I'm losing power, right around 5k - 6k, ( higher in 1st, lower in higher gears) damn, so It might be the Air Solenoid. How did you go about fixing that?

Old 10-30-2009, 05:47 PM

You can try it tho no guarantees its what's wrong with your bike. Here's what I posted a while back.

The solenoid is circled in the pic. To bypass it
  1. Disconnect the electrical connection from the harness
  2. Disconnect hose 11 from 10 and recover the joint (16)
  3. Disconnect hose 5 from the solenoid
  4. Using the joint, connect hose 5 to the air hose leading into the carbs (on the opposite side of the solenoid)

That disables the solenoid and bypasses the tiny intakes. All air to the carbs will come from the ram duct now. You can completely remove the solenoid and disconnected hoses if you like. I left mine in for the moment in case I want to try getting it to work.

The only thing I can think of with this affecting performance is the carbs getting too much air at low speed. But if the solenoid switches air flows at 12 mph, like my manual says... Well how long do we truly ride at less than 12mph?
hardest part: removing the tank

Old 11-02-2009, 08:41 AM

Any update on this?

Old 11-02-2009, 12:27 PM

I didn't get a chance to work on her this weekend either, I'm preparing for my little girls b-day Fiesta this upcoming weekend so I might get a chance on Sunday. I've around and nobody seems to know what It might be. I called Honda but they just tell me to bring her in, but damn I ain't got the dough to spend on her so I'm gonna do it myself. I will update you guys this weekend. Hopefully I can get her running cuz its a pain not being able to ride... thanks for looking out

Old 11-02-2009, 12:43 PM

No worries. Tell your girl Happy Birthday from CBRF

And yeah, the Honda guy told me bring her in and bring at least $250 with me (just to look at her). Since the final fix to my problem would have cost me $0, I was happy I didn't listen

Old 11-02-2009, 01:38 PM

Well. I guess I will say the opposite that other guys said..But...My story was similar. Bought F3 about 3 years ago. And she s been giving me hard time since then. I managed to put 14k miles on her and some track days though. But numerous repairs, guessing, buying parts, towing..etc etc...Its just not worth it. Yes, it can be one small thing that gives u hard time...But its that small u cant find it. I am pretty good with bikes and I did pretty much everything for her. I really loved that bike...But I had to stop. Time is priceless and spending that time fixing one stupid thing on your bike is just not worth it. There are other things around us to enjoy.
I d suggest to get rid of her and save your nerves. She has 60k miles, and was ridden aggressively. U spent lots of money (as well as I did)..but who knows how much $$$ you will have to spend with no guarantee. Once you sell her get that relief you will clear you mind and start working towards another bike.
To end my story I can say that I found pretty good deal on Suzuki SV650 last week and with no hesitation jumped on it. I will be selling or parting out my F3 shortly. I feel kinda sorry cause I put so much effort trying to fix her but, well, we live once.
So of course its totally up to you to decide. Good luck man.

Old 11-02-2009, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by desperado
Well. I guess I will say the opposite that other guys said..But...My story was similar. Bought F3 about 3 years ago. And she s been giving me hard time since then. I managed to put 14k miles on her and some track days though. But numerous repairs, guessing, buying parts, towing..etc etc...Its just not worth it. Yes, it can be one small thing that gives u hard time...But its that small u cant find it. I am pretty good with bikes and I did pretty much everything for her. I really loved that bike...But I had to stop. Time is priceless and spending that time fixing one stupid thing on your bike is just not worth it. There are other things around us to enjoy.
I d suggest to get rid of her and save your nerves. She has 60k miles, and was ridden aggressively. U spent lots of money (as well as I did)..but who knows how much $$$ you will have to spend with no guarantee. Once you sell her get that relief you will clear you mind and start working towards another bike.
To end my story I can say that I found pretty good deal on Suzuki SV650 last week and with no hesitation jumped on it. I will be selling or parting out my F3 shortly. I feel kinda sorry cause I put so much effort trying to fix her but, well, we live once.
So of course its totally up to you to decide. Good luck man.
True enough. My circumstances are a little different. I got my F3 as sorta a self-validation. Not a midlife crisis, where I have to prove I'm still young (my previous 18 yro ex-girlfriend was proof enough ). But I'd gotten lazy, not finishing what I started a lot. At $500 I knew I was going to have some fun getting her to my satisfaction. And getting her to my satisfaction is a proof to myself I can still do it.

So in my situation, if it takes an engine rebuild to make her run right I'll be searching for a garage I can rent while I do it. Its a matter of how much are you willing to invest into it. Now I don't recommend anyone try throwing money at a problem to make it go away. But I do recommend isolating the problem to the point where you're sure it will take more money than what the bike is worth first.

These bikes are pretty solid. Major, costly problems tend to be bleeding obvious. I'd have felt like shyte if I had let my bike go and found out later on what 'fixed' it. And I'm pretty sure the reason my solenoid is malfunctioning is because the speedo isn't hooked up right. Which will cost me all of an afternoon of tracing wires

Old 11-02-2009, 04:40 PM

Yep, it kinds of hard to let go of your bike. I was pissed when it left on the middle of a hill and I had to be there for about 5 mins trying to start her up and all these cars and buses pasing by, I was pissed and didn't even want to look at her. But on my 5 block walk to work I cooled down and sipped my BIG GULP and I couldn't come to selling her. But at that moment I decided the Honda Techs werent getting any of my moolah anymore, so I will try to diagnose the problem and see if its worth fixing. The bike cost me 1k, so far i've spent about 800 on her. thanks for the birthday shoutout