CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Thermo Switch Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 07:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thermo Switch Question

This afternoon I discovered that my Radiator Fan wasn't switching on at all....ever. After a couple tests I found that my Thermo Switch is bad.

Is the Thermo Switch also the Temp Sensor? I posted a week or so ago about my temp guage reading dead middle with the bike ice cold. I'm currious as to if the thermo switch is causing this problem as well?

Old 04-03-2008, 10:56 PM
Default RE: Thermo Switch Question

This website seems to be useless as for as Tech goes...

Old 04-03-2008, 11:06 PM
Super Moderator
Received 497 Likes on 449 Posts

No, the Thermo Switch is not the Thermosensor. They are two separate things relating to a similar area of the bike. The only function of the Thermo Switch is to monitor the temperature of the radiator. When the radiator gets hot enough, then the Thermo Switch closes and turns the fan on. Realize though, that the radiator has to get hot. If it doesn't get hot, then the fan won't come on. Now, in order for the radiator to get hot, water has to circulate through it, hot water that is. When you start your engine, water doesn't start circulating through the radiator. Only when the engine warms up and the Thermostat opens does the water circulate through the radiator. It takes a while for enough hot water to be circulating through the engine and radiator before the Thermo Switch trips and turns on the fan. Now, the job of the Thermosensor is to monitor the engine temperature and make the temperature gauge move the needle that tells you whether the engine is hot or cold. If you take the lead off of the Thermosensor(it's located justabove the CCT and a little to the inside. It's visible from above when the tank is off and you look between theright frame and the airbox)and turn the key on, the temperature should read at the bottom of the scale on the cold side. If you touch the lead to the frame while the key is on, the gauge should read all the way to the hot side of the scale. Don't do this for more than a few seconds or the gauge could be damaged.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:50 PM

ORIGINAL: idodirt

No, the Thermo Switch is not the Thermosensor. They are two separate things relating to a similar area of the bike. The only function of the Thermo Switch is to monitor the temperature of the radiator. When the radiator gets hot enough, then the Thermo Switch closes and turns the fan on. Realize though, that the radiator has to get hot. If it doesn't get hot, then the fan won't come on. Now, in order for the radiator to get hot, water has to circulate through it, hot water that is. When you start your engine, water doesn't start circulating through the radiator. Only when the engine warms up and the Thermostat opens does the water circulate through the radiator. It takes a while for enough hot water to be circulating through the engine and radiator before the Thermo Switch trips and turns on the fan. Now, the job of the Thermosensor is to monitor the engine temperature and make the temperature gauge move the needle that tells you whether the engine is hot or cold. If you take the lead off of the Thermosensor(it's located justabove the CCT and a little to the inside. It's visible from above when the tank is off and you look between theright frame and the airbox)and turn the key on, the temperature should read at the bottom of the scale on the cold side. If you touch the lead to the frame while the key is on, the gauge should read all the way to the hot side of the scale. Don't do this for more than a few seconds or the gauge could be damaged.
Thank you.

I am going to try and test the Thermo SENSOR tomorrow. Already tested the switch today and it failed. I'm confused though. Why is my temp gauge reading "Normal" when the bike isn't warmed at all. IF the thermo sensor is bad...what would cause BOTH to fail at the same time?

Old 04-04-2008, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

If the thermosensor were to "Short", it would damage the Temperature Gauge by making the needle peg at the high end. Not sure what type of damage or how it would appear. That's about the only thing that I think that would cause both to fail. If the Thermosensor is just out of spec, then when you turn the key on, it would read improperly. Does the needle on the Temp Gauge go all the way down to cold when the key is off ? If it's just the Thermosensor it's only around $35, so not too bad.

Old 04-05-2008, 09:17 AM

ORIGINAL: idodirt

If the thermosensor were to "Short", it would damage the Temperature Gauge by making the needle peg at the high end. Not sure what type of damage or how it would appear. That's about the only thing that I think that would cause both to fail. If the Thermosensor is just out of spec, then when you turn the key on, it would read improperly. Does the needle on the Temp Gauge go all the way down to cold when the key is off ? If it's just the Thermosensor it's only around $35, so not too bad.
Funny that you say this. Yesterday evening I was out riding when all of a sudden my Temp Gauge pegged (even with the key off). Right there it told me that there is a bad connection at the thermosensor. Later on in the ride I was doing about 55 and hit a humangus pot hole and watched the temp gauge come back down to below the screw; right where it should be. As for the reading on the Temp Gauge, prior to yesterday with the ignition OFF it would read ALMOST at the bottom, but when you turn the ignition on (bike being stone cold) the needle would rise to the middle of the gauge.

Old 04-06-2008, 10:38 PM
Super Moderator

Well hopefully that's all it is. Clean the connector, tighten it up and that should be that. Good luck...