CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Temp Sensor with f4i gauges

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 09:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikeyboy87
I'm going to still work on this. I was looking at a digital resistor. It allows you to set specific resistance at certain temps. And you can set up to 100 different "taps". This way you can get extremely accurate if you want.

rothjl749 do you know the correction needed at around the 200 deg mark? I just need some more correction points to dial in. if not I can check. Thanks!
Where will the digital potentiometer get it readings from? This sounds interesting, I would be curious to know how this would work.

I believe at 220 it was somewhere in the neighborhood of 2600 ohms. I can check when I get home, I still have everything rigged up on the kitchen table. The wife is not too pleased with my science experiment though so I may not have too many days to work on it. I could get a restance value every 5 or 10 deg if you need.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rothjl749
Where will the digital potentiometer get it readings from? This sounds interesting, I would be curious to know how this would work.

I believe at 220 it was somewhere in the neighborhood of 2600 ohms. I can check when I get home, I still have everything rigged up on the kitchen table. The wife is not too pleased with my science experiment though so I may not have too many days to work on it. I could get a restance value every 5 or 10 deg if you need.
Great, that would help. Because the voltage is going to vary on how hot the engine is. I think that would be a good trigger for the digital resistor to move the wipe up and down. This in turn would vary the correct resistance on the f4i gauge end. Is this right?

Old 12-17-2009, 12:53 PM

Wonder if we could dissect the thermo unit and replace the thermistor with one that would vary the resistance properly for the F4i gauge?

It is sounding better and better to just buy the 900rr sensor from the frickin stealership.

Old 12-17-2009, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by rothjl749
It is sounding better and better to just buy the 900rr sensor from the frickin stealership.
I wasn't gonna say anything else and just let you guys tinker, but that's what I'm thinkin.

edit: The risk of breaking off the temp sensor when pulling the original out is what I'd be trying to engineer away.

Last edited by chuckbear; 12-17-2009 at 01:39 PM.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:38 PM

Well my thought was to not have to pull out the stock F3 sensor at all. Putting something like this converter will cost like $3-$5 instead of pulling the tank, airbox, carbs, and paying $40-$50 on the 900rr sensor. You also run the risk of snapping the sensor off from what I've heard. It's probably over tightened at the factory....

Once we have all the technical stuff down, it'd be very easy to replicate.

I'm a geek!! I love this shi*t!

Old 12-17-2009, 02:41 PM

Also, is there a risk of these resistors getting too hot and wreaking havoc? By havoc I mean melting wires or just plain failing prematurely.

I know the resistors for my LED blinkers get pretty hot just from 30 second intervals of use far away in the tail from any hot engine components, and there would be constant use on these resistors with the key on.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by chuckbear
Also, is there a risk of these resistors getting too hot and wreaking havoc? By havoc I mean melting wires or just plain failing prematurely.

I know the resistors for my LED blinkers get pretty hot just from 30 second intervals of use far away in the tail from any hot engine components, and there would be constant use on these resistors with the key on.
The voltage on this resistor is going to be extremely low. It'll be less than 5 volts at statup. And the way it works is it will decrease in voltage as the engine heats up. With your blinkers that is a constant 12v.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:25 PM

Ah I see.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:55 PM
Official Welcome Crew Spicy Cat

for this setup, wires getting too hot and what not should be negligible.
but if worst comes to worst, heatsinks would easily do the trick.

for this whole experiment to be worthwhile and easy, it almost has to be cutting the wire and doing inline, otherwise it's wayy to much work IMO

Old 12-17-2009, 08:54 PM

Well that was my thinking...

Quick Reply: Temp Sensor with f4i gauges