CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Still won't start

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010 | 06:15 PM
|
Default Still won't start

Bike still doesn't want to start

My starter relay went out so i just replaced it and did a little bit of trouble shooting but can't figure it out yet.

has air

spark

fuel (pump is going out but direct fed it)

air box is off and i can see gas shooting out of the top when i spray starter fluid in it

havent run a full compression test or anything. I'm sure the carbs are pretty dirty, can't remember the last time they were cleaned.

it backfires... a lot. really loud as well lol. Is there timing on the bike that can be adjusted or anything? It ran once briefly this year... just frustrating at this point. Thanks for any help!

Old 03-24-2010 | 07:20 PM

fix your obvious problems before you try solving other issues. clean your carb jets... really good. 2 you can take out, and the 3rd you cant. run a peice of garbage tie wire through them. get a good fuel pump. then try trouble shooting from there, if that doesnt solve your probs.

Old 03-24-2010 | 08:59 PM
|

thnx for the help. This is my first bike so im pretty dumb with carbs and such (never owned anything but fuel injected vehicles either)... would crappy carbs make the bike not start and just backfire? ill clean them either way, just curious, thats all

Old 03-24-2010 | 09:52 PM

Have you checked your spark plugs to see what they look like. The backfiring sounds like you might have fouled the plugs.

Old 03-25-2010 | 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by FOXRCNG11
thnx for the help. This is my first bike so im pretty dumb with carbs and such (never owned anything but fuel injected vehicles either)... would crappy carbs make the bike not start and just backfire? ill clean them either way, just curious, thats all
it definitely would. I would search this forum for "how to clean F3 carbs" there is a couple write ups. and when you do it, do it REALLLLL thorough, because you will realize what a PITA it is to take them on off

After you do that, throw in a new set of spark plugs. THEN try starting it and see what happens.

Old 03-25-2010 | 01:40 PM
|

sounds good. I know the owner of a local shop and with my zero freetime im thinking im just going to take it there and pay a few extra bucks lol...

It ran once a couple weeks ago then just died in the driveway. It's frustrating lol... it ran super strong so its just frustrating that it wont start anymore and just backfires.

Old 03-25-2010 | 07:33 PM
Official Welcome Crew Spicy Cat

Originally Posted by FOXRCNG11
sounds good. I know the owner of a local shop and with my zero freetime im thinking im just going to take it there and pay a few extra bucks lol...

It ran once a couple weeks ago then just died in the driveway. It's frustrating lol... it ran super strong so its just frustrating that it wont start anymore and just backfires.
i knew the owner of a local shop here who wanted 700.00 to "clean my carbs"
then i learned how to do them myself, and it only cost me a case of beer and a friend who likes to get his hands dirty.

Old 03-25-2010 | 10:38 PM
|

$100 for me. Given i own a business and have all my time devoted to that including most of my weekends its worth it to me lol...

i hate bringing things in for others to do but i have no option right now. If i had more freetime i would be all over it. Even the local honda shop only wants $200 700 is rediculous anyway you look at it.

Old 03-25-2010 | 10:45 PM

$100 and you're pressed for time? Do it and throw in a case of beer if it solves your problem.

Carb cleaning ain't hard. It's just the first time will take forever (getting them off the boots, getting the throttle cables on / off). But $100 is pretty much a steal.

Old 03-26-2010 | 12:18 AM
Official Welcome Crew Spicy Cat

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
$100 and you're pressed for time? Do it and throw in a case of beer if it solves your problem.

Carb cleaning ain't hard. It's just the first time will take forever (getting them off the boots, getting the throttle cables on / off). But $100 is pretty much a steal.
indeed.

Quick Reply: Still won't start