CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

starter switch problem. Need help ASAP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 11:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter switch problem. Need help ASAP!

so something has been degraded while trying to start my bike for a couple weeks now..ignition on, switch to run, and when pushing the starter switch it would turn the bike over, but not hold the starter on..just kinda a couple of half turns (while holding the switch down), until it finally turned over normal..well yesterday i drove over to a friends house, and when i went to leave it was doing the same crap..except it never got to the finally starting..

It kept doing the half turns and then they started coming fewer and fewer..until it no longer turned over at all..i found the wiring diagram in the manual..i follow power to the starter switch itself. but there is nearly nothing coming out the backside of the switch when pressing it down (red/yellow wire).
Right now im at the point of i just need to get it home..

I've tried crossing the main starter solenoid wires..and the bike turns over great, but it will not start. where do i have to apply power or have to do in order to get my bike to start this way? or are there any other suggestions?

Need to get this this home asap!

Thanks

(I tried crossing the starter switch itself bl and r/y but this was to no avail..)

Last edited by Will.Bass; 07-21-2013 at 11:50 AM.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:40 PM

i also have tried pop starting it..no luck

Old 07-21-2013, 03:13 PM

so ive gone through all of my switches or sensors as per the SM..

Checked all fuses, check good

checked the starter relay coil for conductivity from green to ground..
no conductivity

clutch switch diode checks
neutral switch checks
didnt check the clutch switch
side stand switch seems to be the problem..

when reading across the y/bl and g wire..i got a reading of 10 Mohms whether the stand was up or down..
and when reading across the g/w and g..i also got a reading of 10 Mohms whether the stand was up or down..

is this conformation that the side stand switch is what my problem is?

Old 07-22-2013, 09:28 AM

Why not try bypassing stand switch . See what happens then.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:30 AM

Hw should I go about doing that?

Old 07-22-2013, 09:46 AM
Old 07-22-2013, 10:00 AM
Party Animal, ROTM June 2014

If I read this right, I am thinking the starter switch (on the right handgrip) needs to be looked at. Take that bad boy apart and give it a good cleaning. Perhaps the contacts in there are corroded and not letting the current through.

Old 07-22-2013, 10:11 AM

Thanks! Ill have to give it a shot. Let you know how it goes.

Originally Posted by vfrman
If I read this right, I am thinking the starter switch (on the right handgrip) needs to be looked at. Take that bad boy apart and give it a good cleaning. Perhaps the contacts in there are corroded and not letting the current through.
Thats what I was thinking at first too. But after not having continuity at the starter solenoid like the manual says..I think its something else..the side stand switch seems to stand out atm

Old 07-22-2013, 07:52 PM

ok. was able to get back over to check out the bike. i started from step one checking over everything all over again..i dont know why, but the sidestand switch checked out this time..i can only guess that the 100+ heat after a couple hours had me check the wrong side of the pigtail or something..
so at this point, i have no idea as to what the problem is..
i really wish the wiring schematic was more detailed. out of the two schematics in the sm, the more in depth one (one with the ignition control module) doesnt even show the starter switch. and the one that does have the starter switch doesnt show all of the wires that are actually in there (shows 2, there are 4).

I still do not have continuity at the starter solenoid like the service manual says you should..but i do not know what would be causing this. everything checks out. although the neutral safety switch is sometimes hit or miss with the meter, but always shows up on the gauges..i just dont know..any input or ideas would be appreciated. i really need to get it in a running state just so i can at least limp it home (its about 20 miles away) so i can work on it whenever. could the icm be an idea as the issue? any way of testing it?

really wish there was more traffic on this site like the days of the past..lol

Old 07-23-2013, 11:54 AM
Party Animal, ROTM June 2014

Have you cleaned and checked the starter switchpod on the handlebar yet?

I just read this whole post again, and I really think it is worth looking at. You are getting power to the switch, but nothing coming out...the starter cranks like mad when you cross the solenoid wires...sidestand checks out (kind of)...did you try bypassing it? Clutch diode and neutral switch checks out. I am willing to bet you a beer the problem is in the starter button assembly.

Quick Reply: starter switch problem. Need help ASAP!