CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Stalling, Oil Prob?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 05:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stalling, Oil Prob?

Hey, I just bought a 1997 cbr 600 F3 and it is having problems already. I took it for a ride the first time this week and it drove fine for the whole 15 mile trip. The other day though I rode on the highway for about 8 miles, then when I was comming back on a side road the bike started to slow down on its own and eventually stall. I tried to start it again but it would just start for a second or two then die.
So I waited for a couple min then tried to start it again and it got me the last couple miles back to my house, but it seemed like it was gonna slow down and stop again.
The next day I took it out and after about 2 miles of driving it did the same thing. But this time it wouldnt start again, even after waiting. Then i had my buddy come and jump it and it started, and there was a back fire when it started.
So I drover it the couple miles back home and right before my house it did the same thing?
So what do you guys think, it sat all winter and I didnt do anything, e.g. change the oil or spark plugs. It seems like it might be oil related. Let me know, thanks.

Old 04-20-2007, 06:04 PM
Default RE: Stalling, Oil Prob?

sounds linke a fuel issue to me.

Old 04-20-2007, 07:57 PM

1+ Fuel.I'd check fuel pump and petcock 1st.

Old 04-20-2007, 10:55 PM

yeah you may have clogged fuel lines n pump .

Old 04-21-2007, 12:32 PM

I'll 3rd the fuel issue...if it was oil you'd have bigger issues than that!! Check to make sure there are no kinks or anything as well as replace the filter...if that doesn't fix it the only other thing I could think of could be electrics but I highly doubt it. Trouble shoot the fuel issues first...

Dennis

Old 04-21-2007, 04:07 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It doesn't hurt to check the fuel filter but I thouhgt that you said your buddy jump started the bike? Was that due to trying to crank over the bike for a while? Or was the battery dead when the bike stalled? I was having charging issues with myF3 and it would loose power (slow down) and then stall. Of couse I couldn't start it because the battery was dead. When I would get a jump, it would run but then stall again a short distance later. I thought I would say something in case the fuel filter isn't the problem.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:21 AM

I am going to check the fuel system tommarow and hopefully find a dirty filter or kinked hose. If the fuel pumped was bad or clogged would the bike start and run for a while, because if I let it sit for a while it will run for about a mile or two and then die. How would you check if the petcock and the pump are clogged, thanks.

Old 04-23-2007, 06:33 PM

Yeah it would run for a bit because the float bowls would fill up (slowly) and then get depleated as you run the bike. As for checking the petcock...al you can do is disconnect the outlet and see what kind of pressure output there is (do it in a way that keeps the fuel from going anywahere near the engine obviously) like running it into a clean container. Also disconnect the feed right from the carbs and see what pressure is there. Keep in mind you will have enough fuel in the float bowls to run it for a bit to get an idea of the actual flow.

Dennis

Old 04-25-2007, 03:07 PM

Well, I have tried everything. I replaced the fuel, changed the fuel filter, checked the fuel pump and fuel cut-off relay, checked all the fuel lines, checked the air filter, and still having problems. I rode it a bit after i did everything and after a couple miles it decelerated again and stalled. I was able to start it back up again immadiatly, but only with the choke on. So any more suggestions? I really dont want to take it in, but I think I might have to.

Old 04-25-2007, 05:25 PM

so did you have lots of fuel coming out of the line once you disconnected the fuel line at the carbs and started the bike?

hmmm...is it a gradual sputtering out or a quick death? Wondering if it could be electrical now...

you could check the plugs and make sure they aren't fouling and are the right type for your temperature...

Quick Reply: Stalling, Oil Prob?