CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Staled after 45 min drive...?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 04:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hah yeah so I took the tank off and theres a fuel line running from the petcock to the carbs... and thats it... theres another line just hanging free from under the tank also and next to that line is an output from the tank with nothing... So I'm guessing theres no fuel pump? lol

Old 03-30-2010, 04:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FOXRCNG11
take your tank off and look where the fuel line runs... looks like your pump is completely missing... the bracket is there but no pump lol
+1 just trace the line. If it goes from tank -> filter (hopefully that's there) -> carbs, you're missing a pump.

It's doable. But the F3 does need a fuel pump, especially in the higher RPMs / speeds. Fuel pump is there to keep gas in the float bowls when the engine is really working. The vacuum can't keep up

Old 03-30-2010, 04:32 PM

So I should probably go out and purchase a fuel pump??.. This could most likely be the reason for my stalling issues?.. I read that if you are bypassing the fuel pump to keep your tank full at all times? Now that I think of it the bike did stall out more then the fuel in the tank was low...

Old 03-30-2010, 04:53 PM

You should be able to get a fuel pump off eBay pretty cheap. Also some local shops may have one (I got one for $80 locally cause I was impatient). The Wanted section here may reveal one in a member's hands.

I personally can't say with certainty that it is the cause of your problems. I do know the pump was there for a reason, the F3 never meant to run without one. And when diagnosing a problem like this, sometimes replacing defective / missing components may be necessary to figure it out. IDoDirt can prolly answer that best so shoot him a PM.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:10 PM

Sounds good Kuro... thanks everyone for the help!!

Old 03-30-2010, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator
Received 497 Likes on 449 Posts

Just came across this thread. Your symptoms do sound like a fuel pump issue, but it's going to be hard to fix one thats not there. If you go Honda new, it's around $120. If you get used, I'd suggest at least placing an order for contacts to repair the used pump, just in case. Figure a used one is as old as your bike and probably not high on the reliability scale.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:34 PM

Yeah I will most likly go new but I don't even know where to start on the install since I never replaced one of these.. wouldn't be so bad if the old one was there to figure where and what hoses go where.. Ya know lol... But I put the bike all back together and now it wont start, it started at first with the choke on and if I flipped it off or gave it throttled it would die... now it wont start at all... hah maan oh maan...

Old 03-30-2010, 06:42 PM

It's beyond easy to install. If IDoDirt doesn't create a video How-To starring Jay Leno & narrated by James Earl Jones before you get one in just holla up. I'll go out and snap a few pics of mine.

But his & his wife's bikes are soooo much more photogenic (ie: cleaner)

Old 03-30-2010, 07:10 PM
Official Welcome Crew Spicy Cat
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
It's beyond easy to install. If IDoDirt doesn't create a video How-To starring Jay Leno & narrated by James Earl Jones before you get one in just holla up. I'll go out and snap a few pics of mine.

But his & his wife's bikes are soooo much more photogenic (ie: cleaner)
Isn't your f3 in pieces on the floor?

Old 03-30-2010, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by spicymeowmix
Isn't your f3 in pieces on the floor?
Just the old gauges, headlight / front cowl, spare swingarm and assembled carbs

Keeps fecking raining so I can't get a decent couple days to put those on. And keeping the old gauges for the moment till I can try making a fiberglass dash for the new ones.

I don't have to give up the F3 just yet...

Quick Reply: Staled after 45 min drive...?