CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

so i changed my spark plugs today

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 03:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default so i changed my spark plugs today

decided to change them out.. my bike has.. 24k miles.. the old plugs had god know how many miles. i don't even know, i bought it used. had alot of oil in the thred of the plugs when i pulled them off. maybe it's a sign that the rings in the piston are giving out. well in any case the bike ran great before and runs even better now.

i knotice a lean burn on the first sparkpulg but the old owner told me he had a carb issue he fixed before hand so i guess unsynced carbs was the casue. it feels like a completely new different bike. more torque in the low end, a lot more pep in the highend.

btw. took about an hour. simple hand tools, a really REALY small sized magnetic pick up. didnt have to pull the fairings off, only the side vents on both sides were taken off. used a simple long 5/8 with no rubber grammot, a 3 inch extension thats about it.

recomend it to anyone.

Old 06-19-2007, 04:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: so i changed my spark plugs today

yea i remember when i changed my plugs...didnt have a magnet...IT WAS A BITCH to take em out...they dont leave you alot of room to work there too, scraped my hand quite a bit

Old 06-19-2007, 05:57 AM

thats because they are designed for Japanese people who have small hands ;-). Mine had new plugs on when I bought it, does the tool that you get in the tool kit not do the job?

Old 06-19-2007, 08:30 AM

ORIGINAL: madmike01uk

thats because they are designed for Japanese people who have small hands ;-). Mine had new plugs on when I bought it, does the tool that you get in the tool kit not do the job?
sure if you take off the pipe headers all your fairings n some other parts

Old 06-19-2007, 08:47 AM

ORIGINAL: catamayo85

yea i remember when i changed my plugs...didnt have a magnet...IT WAS A BITCH to take em out...they dont leave you alot of room to work there too, scraped my hand quite a bit
Yeah this is one job I hate, makes me appreciate my old BMW, anyway, my Haynes manual suggests using a length of garden hose when replacing the plugs, makes it easier to find the right thread angle and spin em into place, have not tried it but will next time.

Old 06-19-2007, 09:01 AM

If the F3 has the same openings and clearance as the F2, it is tight, but a fairly easy task.

The manual says to use the plug wrench in the kit and it works perfect. They made the length of this thing just right and it makes changing the plugs a lot easier. The one thing I did differently was instead of using the open end wrench as it says in the manual, I used a small 1/4" ratchet with the appropriate socket attached. Had all 4 plugs changed in 45 minutes to an hour. I'm no small guy either and have large hands. I thought it would be too hard, but it has been one of the easier things I have done with the bike.

Old 06-19-2007, 02:57 PM

ORIGINAL: madmike01uk

when i bought the bike, it didntcome withthe tool kit, i guess the guy lost it before he sold it to me

Old 06-19-2007, 07:20 PM

This is probably a very stupid question, but I just got my bike and never had one before. I have a 98 CBR 600. Where is this toolkit supposed to be located??

Old 06-20-2007, 12:12 AM

right behind the batter box

Old 06-20-2007, 12:12 AM

if you remove your seat, theres a little compartment on theleft side (i think) of the bike...tools should be in there if i can remember correctly

Quick Reply: so i changed my spark plugs today