CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

side cover keeps coming loose

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 08:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default side cover keeps coming loose

Has anyone had the annoying problem of the side cover coming unattached from the rear seat cowel. Hard to describe, but I'm referring to the plastic on the side of the bike (part that holds the rear blinker) and then where it attaches to in the back of the bike at the seat. When ever my leg hits the right side cover it comes undone on the back of the bike by the seat. Everytime I stop I have to click it back together. It is getting annoying. Maybe it is just like this from taking it on and off so many times.

Anyone else have this annoying problem?

Old 07-23-2006, 09:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: side cover keeps coming loose

I didn't think that the blinkers where attached to the side panels?, Anyway common problem, especially on the gear side, usually caused from pushing against the panel when you pop it on the center stand. If none of the clips are broken, you can scuff them up a little with sand paper, (and I do mean a little) which helps them bite the contact points. Chech the rubber grommets that the panel pops into are seated properly, and are not cactus (ie perished or stretched)

Old 07-23-2006, 10:28 PM

good point about the blinkers...that is where my blinkers are...previous owner must of moved them for a more flush look. Anyway, I'm referring to the plastic side pieces that say "600F3" and are right under the seat. Sounds like we are talking about the same thing pacemaker.

I thought about the grommets too. I may replace them and see what happens. The problem panel is the right side. (if you are sitting on the bike) No clips are broken. I think my right leg hits it a lot when riding so it comes apart where it connects into the plastic part behind the seat.

Old 07-23-2006, 10:54 PM

I've seen a lot of stuff on the web about this, I have not had any troubles, which is not to say it won't happen.
The rear clips are a bit of a bugger, as it has to clip under to line up with a type of "ball, hollow" type fit (near the grab rail), I suspect that this wears.
On mine the rear tangs, near the tail light always seem to pop out and scratch the abs plastic, just as it going into place. I also have a rack fitted and the rails of it run parallel to side covers, which makes them more awkward still. And regardless it's never a flush fit
I suspect that a lot of riders just pull the covers off without thinking about wot their doing, the manual for bike is a bit scant on the correct proceedure and I don't think many of us get that far, cos there is usually not much reason for taking the covers off (thats where they keep the manual!), having a sealed battery and the tool kit is a bit of a joke (have you ever tried to change the rear tyre with the spanner they provide?)
Back to wots on the web, a lot of guys use ocky straps (bungee cords to you guys) But there has to be a better mod, maybe who ever comes up with one will end making the fortune!

Old 07-23-2006, 11:16 PM

Unfortunately I have been taking the covers off a lot lately. I try to be gentle, but maybe the previous owner was not. I can say that one thing I did this evening was take the cover off and noticed the tabs in the back (that connect to the seat cowl) were facing downward a bit. I took a hair dryer and heated up the plastic and bent it, ever so gently, upward back into position more so things line up better. Seems to be a bit tighter fit. Guess I will find out tomorrow when I go for a long ride.

Old 07-25-2006, 12:46 AM

Join the club. The tab on the one side broke off the other day on mine... now its really bad. When I go over 100mph or do a wheelie the thing pops off. I am going to try to put a piece of electrical tape across the back kinda under the seat so you can't see it. I have to do something because it a pain.

Old 07-25-2006, 10:43 AM

Sounds like yours is coming apart at the same place as mine..right where the side piece connects to the back tail piece. My heating up the tabs idea and straightening them out mentioned above worked out pretty good, but the plastic pieces in the back don't line up which drives me crazy. I thought about getting new grommets, or even a new side cover all together, but one new one would look funny...so I would have to get two! Too much $$$.

Let me know if you secure it somehow from underneath. I thought of that too, but pretty small area to get your hands in

Old 07-27-2006, 02:39 AM

i put a cargo net over the back seat and hooked it underneath. seems to hold it together fine and doesnt look bad-

Old 07-27-2006, 04:29 AM

Ta Da, brilliant idea, new someone would be a lateral thinker, (I'm the vertical kind, my wife says it called laziness).

Old 07-27-2006, 08:38 PM

Has anyone tried maybe Velcro?

Quick Reply: side cover keeps coming loose