CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Shinko's????????

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 09:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shinko's????????

Local shop of mine carries these. Got quoted for $150 a set! Thought that was damn cheap. Whats the story on this brand. I'm just an every day rider who can go fast if he needs to. No track and not many wheelies anymore.

Old 05-01-2010, 09:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Search, this has been discussed to death. Basically, Shinkos are Yokohamas reborn under a different name. They are good tires for the money IMO, but take my advice with a grain of salt -- I have a pair of 006s but I haven't installed them yet

Also pay attention to the actual tire, because the number matters. I've seen people complaining about how Shinkos don't perform in the twisties compared to other tires -- but they were running 009s which are touring tires With price factored in I think they stand up in apples-to-apples comparisons.

However, there have been some very good deals on the Pilot series recently, if the price was close I'd probably lean that way.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:54 PM

I just got a set of the Ravens. Haven't had a problem, but I don't do twisties, don't ride in wet, and these are the first tires I've ridden on, so I don't have anything to compare to. There are a couple different threads (one started by yours truly) full of others opinions of the Shinkos vs. the Michelins.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:03 AM

I've got the shinko advance 005's this is the second season i've been on them and they've been good to me...still look just as good as the day i got them...5000 miles later

Old 05-02-2010, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by thatsarachik
I just got a set of the Ravens... don't do twisties, don't ride in wet...
Originally Posted by orangef3
I've got the shinko advance 005's this is the second season i've been on them and they've been good to me...still look just as good as the day i got them...5000 miles later
OK, I'll start here. These to comments will tell you a lot. You're lucky some nice people with the Shinko tires commented with honest opinions, thanks thatsarachik and orangef3. if you combine what they're saying you get this. The tires are HARD, (looks good/5000 miles on them, orangef3), they're not really for "non-california/florida" weather (ie..cold/wet) and they're not really for twisties (thatsarachik).

My opinion on that; I COMPLETELY agree with both of them. The Shinko is an inexpensive tire that is excellent for fair-nice weather commuting. The tires are hard so they last a long time and as long as you're not riding in the rain or hittin corners at 90MPH, this tire will work great for you. I tried a set on a f2 commuter I had and they lasted about 9k miles, YES 9k miles on a motorcycle tire! The bike slipped in every hard corner I took.
My recommendation:
If you're commuting, be like thatsarachik and get the ravens, they're gonna hit you for a little more than $150 (about $225 installed) but the ravens are the better of the Shinkos, from my experience.
If you're not commuting and want to save money, buy some lightly used Bridgestones or Michelins from ebay or craigslist.

Hope that helps.
FYI, I'm testing the 180/55 michelins pilot power 2ct and the 180/55 bridgestong battlax bt016s right now, but that's another post. :P

Old 05-02-2010, 08:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What MSHax said. And I recommend staying with the stock tire sizes. I went from a 160 rear to a 180 rear and I'm not a fan. Turn in is a lot slower with the 180.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:40 PM

+1 ^^^^^^

Had a guy couple of weeks ago raving about the Shinkos. He was one of my beginner students at the track. Told him they might be wonderful and good for commuting, but I would be very leary and careful in the corners, as I had not heard much about cornering performance.

He lowsided in a very easy corner, going moderately slow. I watched him do it, tire just slid out.

If you're not hitting the track or the twistys, and it's nice and dry, then they sound good.

P.S. - seen the same issues with Tomahawks at the track.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:58 AM

Ive heard the new pirelli's -the ones with the angel tread?? are they best out there right now.. as for shinko im running a set of ravens. i got about 5k out of them and i dont do burnouts. as for twisties.. my "chicken line" is almost to the edge of each side of the rear the tire and they've never slipped they're decent on wet roads too (except for wet man-hole covers but thats with any tire)

Old 05-03-2010, 09:51 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have 005 Advanced on my F3. They ran fine for how I rode: city riding. City streets can't be discounted for needing a decent tire. Lot of swerves, quick stops and right angle turns. They never slipped except on a wet trolley track. Which was 50 / 50 rider error and rider stupidity.

Would I take them to a track? Maybe the 1st track day, when I'd be learning and deciding if it was something I wanted to do regularly. Twisty riding? On the weekends, prolly. You'd prolly never see me looking like randyjoy One thing I did notice, they seem to take a little longer to warm up.

Old 05-03-2010, 12:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shinko's? Not on my bike.

Tires and chains are two things I have no problem paying a little extra for.

Bridgestone BT021s treated me very well for a mixture of commuting and hard weekend riding for 10k miles and that's where I'll be looking for my 636 as soon as she needs rubber.

Quick Reply: Shinko's????????