CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Shinko tires advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 01:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shinko tires advice

Im trying to get tires for my cbr f3 and the type of riding i will be doing is all beginner level riding. I also will never ride if wet....im not that experienced yet. Im looking at these tires...anybody got any advice. I only got about 200$ to spend on tires.

Shinko 005 Advance Tire Combo 120/60-17 and 160/60-17 | eBay

Old 05-03-2011, 04:29 PM

I bought them and they looked/felt fine to me...but then the shop installed 2CTs instead

but I'd go for it. I haven't heard anything bad about them

Old 05-03-2011, 06:35 PM

Go to ebay, you can get a nice set of dulop Q2's for just over $200

Old 05-03-2011, 06:44 PM

They are good tires. However I just picked up a set of Contimotion tires for $155 delivered from Motosport.com . They got good reviews . I have not installed them yet but they should be just fine for the riding you are doing.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

Based on your riding style it would be a waste to purchase performance tires when you're just going to wear out the middle of them. And, there's nothing wrong with that seeing as you're a beginning rider. You need to take it easy and get your skills up. The Shinko's are an excellent choice and if you go to Motorcycle SuperStore, they offer free shipping for less money that you were going to spend on ebay.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:46 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm running the Shinko 009's and don't have any complaints. Came with the bike (brand new) so they only have 600miles on them. So far so good, they are a stable, firm ride. Haven't been in more than a light rain, did fine there (and plan to or not, you WILL end up in the rain at some time). lol

On my previous bikes, I ran either Conti's or Metzler (Metzler being my favorite tire). On the Continentals, don't by the touring series, get the sport (too hard a compound, traction suffers, IMO). The Metz's get it right for their touring series, though. Great traction, rain or shine, and good life span.

So, if you are a laid-back beginner, the Shinto's seem to be a decent choice. However, if you CAN get a better deal, my personal first choice is Metzler.
Ern
Ern

Old 05-04-2011, 01:33 PM

I saw this too late. After I couldnt find my post right away I just searched on here. Someone did a write up review on them recently. Anyway I ordered them...i payed $198. I could have save like $17 if I ordered from the site "IDoDirt" suggested lol. No biggie. Plus it keeps my rating up on ebay. Thanks for the comments.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by T-mac
Im trying to get tires for my cbr f3 and the type of riding i will be doing is all beginner level riding. I also will never ride if wet....im not that experienced yet. Im looking at these tires...anybody got any advice. I only got about 200$ to spend on tires.

Shinko 005 Advance Tire Combo 120/60-17 and 160/60-17 | eBay
DONT DO IT.

I had shinkos as my last set of tyres. they lasted 2,700km. thats it. thats only what, 1,500 miles. admittedly my ceuurent ride is an R1, but thats still awful, considering it was ALL road miles, no trackdays.
The shinkos are a budget tyre.

Look, the best mod BY FAR you can do to your bike (AND most cost efffective mod) is putting good tyres on the thing. The shinkos will not wear very well. they wil not provide good grip in damp conditions, and in the warm, they heat up and degrade easily.

You might think that a cheap tyre is a good idea for a eginner, but its not. as a beginner, its probably MORE important to use good tyres, because of the noob errors you might make, eg, downshifts too early that make the rear cut loose a little bit, a shinko will probably put you down, and better tyre will snap back into grip, with a wee tank slap that will scare you and thats it.

Id recommend something like a michelin pilot road 2, theyre a good sport/touring tyre, and if i remember correctly, theyre a dual compound, so lots of grip, and you won't wear out the centre like you will on **** like shinkos.

If you have to save a little extra coin for tyres, then stay off the bike a week or two, those two bits of rubber are th only things keeping you on the road, so dont buy low quality stuff.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:55 PM

How many miles should a new set of tires last? I am going to buy some new rubbers on friday and was considering just getting some only once used race take offs for 50 bucks from my local shop.

its either I pay about 130 for race take offs (180s) or buy a new set for a about 200+ for some new ones (170 in rear). Any thoughts? I wont be taking it to the track but I do love to bomb corners....

Old 05-04-2011, 07:20 PM

The race takeoffs are fine for the dragstrip but I would not trust them on the road.
As for the Shinko tires it all depends on what tire you get they are not bad tires I have run them on the track and on the street. The 003 is a softer compound and the 009 is the sport touring IIRC. They will be fine for a beginner or an advanced rider. I have gotten 6+K on the rear on my BlackBird out of the sport touring tire. Yes there are way better tires but for way more money. If you look you can find Pilot Powers for about $180 delivered but they won't last that long either but will stick like glue to the road. Whatever you do make sure you let the tires warm up before you blast into any corners.

Quick Reply: Shinko tires advice