CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Shifting into First..

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 05:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifting into First..

I am new to the bike world and was wondering if it is normal for the bike to make a somewhat loud clicking noise when shifting into first gear from neutral.Sorry i'm not really sure how to explain it... in other words, should the bike shift into gears without hearing any clicks or noise? i just want to make sure everything on my bike is working correctly and all fluids and oil are at correct levels..thanks

Old 03-13-2007, 06:06 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Shifting into First..

Some bikes no, they shift to 1st smooth ... most cbr's yes, they clunk into 1st loudly but the trade off is a more reliable bike

so shift with authority and show no fear.

disclaimer: above assumes you have decent oil, changed in timely manner as well as other factors that can contribute to excessive clunkiness ... but for the most part, as stated, some 'clunk" is normal on cbr's

Edit: assuming you mean "clunk" / "thud" sound when you say "clicking" because that could be a different story ... e.g. sprockets etc..

Old 03-13-2007, 08:10 AM

both my 89 and 96 cbrs gave a healthy clunk when I shifted into first from neutral (at a stop) --I only assumed it's normal...

Old 03-13-2007, 10:24 AM
Banned

Learn to blip the throttle while downshifting.

Old 03-13-2007, 12:23 PM

Kid...according to the instructions that came with my new clutch you should never drop the bike from N to any gear if its revving over 1500rpm.

Old 03-13-2007, 02:18 PM

Also dont go into first until youve come to a complete stop. Otherwise just stay in second.

Old 03-14-2007, 12:21 AM

i also get a good "clunk" when i hit netural from shifting 1st to 2nd , and i go to shift into second. i found let the bike rev down and use a strong pull to get it into second

Old 03-14-2007, 12:57 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: DDCavi

Also dont go into first until youve come to a complete stop. Otherwise just stay in second.
That's like saying, "don't worry about really learning how to ride that bike, just go and stop man!" Bad advice.

And about the clutch - wouldn't surprise me. I've been bliping my throttle since I got it because it sounded cool. After some time I realized that while it's not necessary, there is a legitimate purpose for doing it. My clutch is still great. Yeah, I'm gonna be replacing before the summer, but it's an OEM part and it takes the abuse very well. I am guessing you got a kevlar kit? I don'tcare what the manual says - I say blip it. If your bike can't take it, an aggressivedownshift is probably the least of your worries.

ALSO, you're hearing that clunk because you're skipping through neutral (normal) and your hand/foot timing is off (not normal). These bikes aren't made to be ***** footin' around. It is very possible to shift smoothly with very little noise from first to second - but it takes time. Right now I would suggest you finding a big parking lot and practice over and over running from one end to the other, first to second - back and forth. You should spend the same amount of time shifting 1, 2 as you do 2,3... and most people don't. You'll hear them take off, hear the clutch go in, then a second or two later and then the throttle again. Waaaaaahhh-umm.................click, waaahhhhhhhhh. It should sound like, waaaaaahhhhumm-waaahhhhhhh. Just do it in a lot and get used to it, then think about what you're doing different when going slow. You're probably trying to force it, and you probably miss second a fair bit. Just spend some time on it, and you'll get it. It'll, "click," haha - sorry.

Old 03-14-2007, 02:01 AM

Thanks for the help guys... i just wanted to make sure that the "Clunk" wasnt a sign of something bad. Oh and the word "clunk" describes the noise that my bike makes much better than "Click"haha. My CBR also makes a slight clunk when shifting through all the gears but not nearly as loud or hard as going into first... Any other helpful hint or tips for a beginner like me?

Old 03-14-2007, 02:31 AM

ORIGINAL: KidCr3nshaw

ORIGINAL: DDCavi

That's like saying, "don't worry about really learning how to ride that bike, just go and stop man!" Bad advice.

And about the clutch - wouldn't surprise me. I've been bliping my throttle since I got it because it sounded cool. After some time I realized that while it's not necessary, there is a legitimate purpose for doing it. My clutch is still great. Yeah, I'm gonna be replacing before the summer, but it's an OEM part and it takes the abuse very well. I am guessing you got a kevlar kit? I don'tcare what the manual says - I say blip it. If your bike can't take it, an aggressivedownshift is probably the least of your worries.

ALSO, you're hearing that clunk because you're skipping through neutral (normal) and your hand/foot timing is off (not normal). These bikes aren't made to be ***** footin' around. It is very possible to shift smoothly with very little noise from first to second - but it takes time. Right now I would suggest you finding a big parking lot and practice over and over running from one end to the other, first to second - back and forth. You should spend the same amount of time shifting 1, 2 as you do 2,3... and most people don't. You'll hear them take off, hear the clutch go in, then a second or two later and then the throttle again. Waaaaaahhh-umm.................click, waaahhhhhhhhh. It should sound like, waaaaaahhhhumm-waaahhhhhhh. Just do it in a lot and get used to it, then think about what you're doing different when going slow. You're probably trying to force it, and you probably miss second a fair bit. Just spend some time on it, and you'll get it. It'll, "click," haha - sorry.
[sm=exactly.gif]

Quick Reply: Shifting into First..