CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

seafoam

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 03:33 PM
2011 Ride of the Year
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default seafoam

this stuff works like magic.
i never put any in because some people were saying that its bad for the bike. well i started to winterize the bike today and went to the gas station and added the seafoam (recommended amount) than filled up. took it for about 20mile ride and what a difference. the response and power improved. i was amazed.

ill be adding it every 1k miles from now on. maybe even 500 miles dont know yet.
very happy with it, cant wait to next season.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DO NOT let that sit in your tank. Put Sta-bil to winterize it. Seafoam will eat the $h!t out of our carb seals. If you don't trust me, you will in a couple weeks.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:28 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd have to go ahead and straight up disagree with you there U-M

I have used it and stored many bikes and vehicles using SeaFoam instead of Sta-Bil
and Seafoam stabilized the fuel just fine with no seals or gasket issues whatsoever

And here's their FAQ

3rd and 4th items being germane to this debate

Last edited by Sprock; 11-20-2011 at 08:33 PM.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:22 PM

I haven't seen it here in Australia but I looked up the ingredients anyway. We have them all where I work so I'll make up a batch to try. The "pale oil" was a confusing one but turned out to just basically be a tool oil or like light sewing machine oil. They even give the ratios in their MSDS on the seafoam website. I'll let you know how it goes in my F3 scorpionvmu.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:30 AM
2011 Ride of the Year

thx, its in mine right now. ill have to see for myself. if the seals go bad ( which i dont think they will ) ill have to replace them. i think i made the right choice here. so far im happy with it.

this is what they said, "Stabilizes fuels for up to 2 years". its on their website. if its not true and my seals go bad, i have grounds to a lawsuit. they will fix my bike.

Last edited by scorpionvmu; 11-21-2011 at 02:37 AM.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:00 AM

Doubt it's bad for any seals. We use naptha and isopropyl alcohol heaps at work to clean around hydraulic actuators that have rubber seals (not sure exactly what type of rubber) and there's no issues. And we only use what's been approved for that particular application. They're probably the only ingredients that people think will cause any seal damage. Even my bike manual says it's ok to use ethanol fuel as long as it doesn't exceed 10%. If I remember (my brother's hastling me to make some fibreglass outriggers for his fishing canoe) I'll mix some tomorrow at work.

Old 11-21-2011, 04:01 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015

What are these stabilizer additives? I've never put that kind of stuff to any tank nor have I heard of anyone that do so OR have ever seen it to be sold anywhere. What benefits does it have/ what happens if I don't. I've never had any issues starting any motor after the winter exept for giving them a jolt of motor starter spray to get them going the first time. After that 0 problems...

Old 11-21-2011, 08:15 AM

we use seafoam in our bikes and cars, although we don't need to "winterize" ours here in Florida. I think it works great.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:20 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave

Originally Posted by Mattson
What are these stabilizer additives? I've never put that kind of stuff to any tank nor have I heard of anyone that do so OR have ever seen it to be sold anywhere. What benefits does it have/ what happens if I don't.
Gas can go bad if it is left sitting for a while. It gets a darker brown color and starts turning into a varnish-like substance. I've read that this process can begin in as little as 60 days. If it is left for too long it will eventually gum up carb jets and fuel injectors.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:58 AM

When I bought my F4i last year, it was sitting for awhile and ran ruff. I intended on changing the plugs and oil anyway so I used some Sea Foam and it cleared right up. It was still a bit groggy but after I changed the plugs it ran like a rapped ape.

Quick Reply: seafoam