CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Reservations about buying a low mileage bike that has sat for years...

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 12:41 PM
Official Welcome Crew
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Reservations about buying a low mileage bike that has sat for years...

So I am seriously considering the purchase of a 1996 F3.. it has the white/black/red paint scheme.. except for a scratch on the lower ride side fairing, it seems to be showroom. I looked at it briefly one evening, heard it run but I am planning on returning this week to really check it out and test ride.

It is almost identical to a member's ride on here:

It has about 2,300 miles on it.. stock except for a 2 brothers slip on and a jet kit. The seller is the original owner (havent verified it on the title), with a clean title no leins or salvage... bike is CLEAN otherwise... he must have detailed it because it looks like it is almost new. The owner is not a young kid, but he owns a service station. All bar ends and levers look fine and unscratched. It was warmed up when I got there, but it sounded great and revved freely. I didn't get a chance to look at the tire dates.. I remember the tread looking okay, but they have to have some years on them.. thats on my questions to ask tomorrow.

I checked the plate and the last sticker expired in 2003, so it hasn't been legally tagged in a while..

I really like the bike.. the only other bike that ties it with me is a yellow 99-2000 F4, but I havent been able to find one that I really like in my price range within a reasonable amount of distance..

My last bike, a Ninja 250, had sat for 5 years, but it was not taken care of as it should have been.. when I bought it, it barely ran. I tuned it up and put a new set of carbs on it.. it ran perfect from that point on, and it was a 99 with only 4400 miles on it..
I lucked out with that bike, what do you think about this one?

The rest of the bike is stock, complete down to stock front and rear turn signals, rear undertail.. he says he has the owners manual and tools under the seat.

On my list of questions:

1) How old are the tires?
2) How was it stored? Where? Gas removed?
3) CCT replaced? I didnt hear any noises.
4) Does he have the stock exhaust? Call me crazy.. I might want to swap that back on.. the TBR is f*in loud... I have 2 Mustangs to make noise with.

It's not even January.. the bike market is not hopping here on LI yet.. I want a nice bike I can keep for 5-10 years at least.. and with the mileage it has I shouldn't have any issues even if I do ride 1500-2000 miles per year.

What do you all think? I think I would have to pull the tank and clean that out.. then pull the carbs and clean them out as well just to be safe. New tires would probably be next.. thinkin Michelin Pilot Powers or Pilot Roads since I hear good things about them? Of course this all adds to the overall purchase price...

I'm just weary about "too good to be true".

Thanks for reading,
Adam

Old 12-27-2009, 01:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What's he asking?

Big thing will be to take a flashlight and telescoping mirror and look inside the tank. If the bike sat for years with gas in it there will be rust, stabil or not. Do that before having him start the bike. If you're intent on buying it, you don't want rust to work its way through the engine too much. Also ask if he'll pull the lower fairings. That way you can inspect the engine closer. Look for cracks / welds in the engine casing, ect. Everything else will disappear with a good cleaning (gummed up carbs, fuel lines, air & exhaust).

Honest answer, if it were in my price range I'd grab it without question.

Old 12-27-2009, 01:48 PM
Official Welcome Crew

PM sent Kuroshio.. thanks

Old 12-27-2009, 10:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 497 Likes on 449 Posts

If the bikes in your price range, just do it ! Most issues you'll have to deal with revolve around cleaning and flushing. If it looks as good as the photo, tell me where it is and I'll go take it to the sunny south. I'm itching for a road trip.

Old 12-27-2009, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by IDoDirt
If the bikes in your price range, just do it ! Most issues you'll have to deal with revolve around cleaning and flushing. If it looks as good as the photo, tell me where it is and I'll go take it to the sunny south. I'm itching for a road trip.
Greedy! Said pretty much the same thing. Cleaning & flushing. Maybe replacing some dried out o-rings and gaskets. Definitely getting rid of 14 yro tires

Old 12-28-2009, 08:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd jump on it. Should be a good bike for quite a long time as its practically new. Hell if he had it running when you looked at it especially! Buy that bike and ride the **** out of it

Old 12-28-2009, 04:20 PM
Official Welcome Crew

Well.. good news and bad news... good news is that I test rode it and decided that I liked it enough to buy it. The bad news is that the person that placed the ad for him was way off on his price.. I don't understand how that happened to be quite honest.. ad said asking $2500, he wants $5K.. oh well.. its sweet but to me thats F4i territory and I'm not in the buying bracket lol..

oh well.. it was a nice 5 minute test ride.. smooth but that 2 bros is way too loud for me... back to the drawing board.

Old 12-28-2009, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 497 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbulenz
ad said asking $2500, he wants $5K.. oh well.. its sweet but to me thats F4i territory and I'm not in the buying bracket lol..
No, $5K is 600RR territory circa 2004 or 2005.

Have him look at the Kelly Blue Book for retail values of 1996 CBR 600F3's. He's way out of line no matter how immaculate it is. Tell him to keep your number when he can't sell it for that.

Old 12-28-2009, 05:53 PM

Aye, call him back and tell him you'll meet him at the bank to get a cashier's check for $2500. 30 days from now, $2000. 30 days beyond that, you'll have bought a bike already.

5k is obscene for a never ridden SJR... Well maybe not if it were never ridden.

Old 12-28-2009, 06:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah 5k would be more appropriate for absolute showroom condition no worries about rust in tank or anything else

Quick Reply: Reservations about buying a low mileage bike that has sat for years...