CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Recommendations for jacking my bike up?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 06:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Recommendations for jacking my bike up?

Ok I'm planning on changing the oil, cleaning the carbs, replacing the chain and raising the bike (front forks and replacing the dogbone). Does anyone have any recommendations on what to use to get my bike in the air?

I was looking at this http://auto.sears.com/GARAGE-PRO-MOTORCYCLE-ATV-HYDRAULIC-LIFT/Product.htm?catalogId=10624&N=600026045&productId= 2020557 but not too sure how well a sports bike will work with a lift like this

Last edited by Kuroshio; 07-09-2009 at 06:09 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This one seems a little more sturdy for a sports bike... Tried looking for just a set of jack stands? Or are you wanting everything about waist height? The springs to the centerstand look a little cheesy so i'd put a towing strap or two across just to make sure..

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...ubmit2=find+it

This stand is currently on sale for $99.99. Reg is $119.99...

Old 07-09-2009, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 497 Likes on 449 Posts

Those types of stands are designed for cruisers that have a frame surrounding the engine. Our engines hang from the frame. You would end up having the bike sitting on the oil pan. Not a good idea.

Here's what you do. Go outside and take a look under the bike in the area between the oil pan and the swingarm. You're going to see a bracket that's welded to the frame that's there for a Motorcycle Centerstand that our bikes don't come with. But, the bracket has 2 holes in it approximately 1/2" in diameter.

Stop reading here, and go outside and look at your bike and then come back and read the rest of this.

Now that you've looked at it you know what I'm talking about. Go to Home Depot or Lowes or some hardware store that carries Steel Rods. There available in 3' lengths for around $4. Take your lower fairings off, put the rod through that hole. Then, with a common pair of jackstands you and a friend can pick up the back end of the bike with that rod and set the rod on the jackstands. Keep the jackstands fairly close to the bike for strength and stability. You'll then be able to work on the the swingarm with ease.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by idodirt
Those types of stands are designed for cruisers that have a frame surrounding the engine. Our engines hang from the frame. You would end up having the bike sitting on the oil pan. Not a good idea.

Here's what you do. Go outside and take a look under the bike in the area between the oil pan and the swingarm. You're going to see a bracket that's welded to the frame that's there for a Motorcycle Centerstand that our bikes don't come with. But, the bracket has 2 holes in it approximately 1/2" in diameter.

Stop reading here, and go outside and look at your bike and then come back and read the rest of this.

Now that you've looked at it you know what I'm talking about. Go to Home Depot or Lowes or some hardware store that carries Steel Rods. There available in 3' lengths for around $4. Take your lower fairings off, put the rod through that hole. Then, with a common pair of jackstands you and a friend can pick up the back end of the bike with that rod and set the rod on the jackstands. Keep the jackstands fairly close to the bike for strength and stability. You'll then be able to work on the the swingarm with ease.
Too dark to go check right now. I'm looking at this as a sound investment because I plan on doing this as a long term hobby, probably investing in more steals. Plus a friend of mine has a GSX and is willing to split the cost so he can start working on his own bike as well.

I also found this:
http://www.abbastands.co.uk/product_details.asp?id=1

This looks a lot better for what I plan to do and isn't obscenely extravagant. If I had a house with a garage, I'd have to explain a $700+ lift table to the gf

Old 07-09-2009, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

Now thats a good stand. Good addition to have. I'm only thinking of short term, something you can do this weekend and get started.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:18 PM

Jeez yall have never heard of paddock stands?

Old 07-09-2009, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by cajunlowrida
Looked at em and for a good pair, it's prolly going to come out about the same. But that one from abba looks really stable and easy to use.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:57 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by cajunlowrida
Maybe you missed the part where he's going to be replacing the dog bone to raise his bike back up. He's not going to do that on a paddock stand.

Old 07-10-2009, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by idodirt
Maybe you missed the part where he's going to be replacing the dog bone to raise his bike back up. He's not going to do that on a paddock stand.
Ahh indeed.

Old 07-10-2009, 03:48 PM

Honestly, I went down to Sears and got a motorcycle jack. I gotta slip a 2x4 on one side to get the bike to balance, but I had it strapped up on that thing for 3 days straight and it didn't crush the manifold or anything. It lifts right in the middle, so you can do just about anything you want to the bike.

Quick Reply: Recommendations for jacking my bike up?