CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Re-packed my can

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 04:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re-packed my can

So the PO put on a hollow can (or completely 100% stripped the internals) and holy. That thing would make a deaf man cover his ears. So in an attempt to quiet it down and add some back pressure so i wont burn valves, I decided to repack my can.

From gutting them before in the past, I remembered there would be a tube in the center of the can with preferations for the sound to be dispersed into the fiberglass. But this can didnt have a tube in it.

SO. I went to Lowes home improvement store (where I get most of my auto-mobile needs) and purchased a package of fiberglass MAT, not the regular cloth that you would use on small applications. This mat is more tightly weaved. I also purchased a gutter guard. You place it ontop of your gutter to protect it from leaves and keep it from getting clogged. Ricers use this to make grilles for their cars.

I drilled the rivets out the end-cap of the muffler. Being that there was no tube in the center of my can, I had to cut the gutter guard to the correct length, and shape it by hand into a tube. I got it how i wanted it, then used another one to put an extra layer on it so my fiberglass wouldnt fall into the tube. I then gently slid it about 3/4" to 1" inside the muffler pipe that enters the can.

After that was placed, I started cutting the mat into manageable sizes (about 8" wide, 16" long). Then started packing around my tube I created with one of those removeable jack handles (hey, its all I had laying around). But I didnt want to pack it too tight, because I've read that if you pack it super tight, it will sound about the same as it was when it was hollow, because the sound waves werent able to absorb into the material, they just bounced off of it and right out of the can.

After packing it all the way to the tip of the muffler, I put the end cap back on the muffler, making sure my created tube slid into the exit hole of the cap by about 1/2" so the exhaust has a straight path to follow right out the muffler.

Started her up... and WOW. Sounds alot quieter. Isnt factory quiet, but its as loud as a regular slip on would sound. A smooth sound at idle with a hint of a rumble, and ALOT quieter up into the RPMS. I love it. Granted, my bike isnt a trophy wife, shes been around... So shes not pretty, has its rust spots on the frame, nasty rims, missing alot of the fairings... Its my budget bike. So this mod was a cheap alternative to me rather than buying a whole new exhaust that cost the same amount as my bike.

Old 09-25-2009, 10:58 AM

Good write up man, I know how bad those hollow cans can be. I repacked a cut down D&D and still didn't think it was quiet enough so I stuffed some steel wool right down the middle tube and it actually worked ... until I push the bike hard and blow it out LOL.

Old 09-25-2009, 04:45 PM

yeah the first couple minutes of it running in my garage it blew out a few loose fiberglass strands when i gave it some gas lol.

Old 12-09-2009, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Northernfirepower
Good write up man, I know how bad those hollow cans can be. I repacked a cut down D&D and still didn't think it was quiet enough so I stuffed some steel wool right down the middle tube and it actually worked ... until I push the bike hard and blow it out LOL.
thanks for the steel wool idea..maybe i can keep my hearing now! haha