CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

A question concerning a tip over

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 07:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink A question concerning a tip over

So yesterday my bike got tipped over on the left side. There was a little oil on the ground. After I got it up I tried to start it, and it wouldn't start for nothin. It eventually started after sitting for about 3 hours, with a decent amount of smoke coming out of the exahust, but that eventually cleared up. I believe that oil got into the air filter or something, and wasn't allowing the engine to get enough air.

So my question is, is this a correct assumption of what was going on with the bike, and would one of those foam/cloth type washable/reusable air filters prevent this from happening in the future?

I'm just trying to avoid getting stranded somewhere if this happens again, which probably will, because I can be a bit clumsy here and there

Old 10-13-2010, 08:57 AM

It's normal for it to not start, float boals probably drained, smoke is normal too... just ride it around the neighborhood and see what happens

Old 10-13-2010, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by kerosene
It's normal for it to not start, float boals probably drained, smoke is normal too... just ride it around the neighborhood and see what happens
Oh it was fine after it sat for a few hours. I rode it for the rest of the day. I was just wondering if there was a way to be able to make it start sooner.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:22 AM
Official Welcome Crew Spicy Cat
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by R Smoove
Oh it was fine after it sat for a few hours. I rode it for the rest of the day. I was just wondering if there was a way to be able to make it start sooner.
bikes are not meant to be on their sides.
when this happens, oil can go into places it shouldnt.

you could start it sooner, but youd have to probably clean the plugs and make sure the fuel is getting to the carbs. Thats a solid hour of work, and maybe more putting it back together, so id let it sit.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:55 PM
Thumbs up

Ok. Thanks guys! This forum is really a great source of info. I wouldn't have a clue without you guys.

Old 10-13-2010, 01:01 PM

I know, I'm just an encyclopedia of retarded moments

You should be ok... no harm done as long as you didn't try to force the bike on...

Old 10-15-2010, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by kerosene
It's normal for it to not start, float boals probably drained, smoke is normal too...
So, would a fuel injected bike have a better chance of starting immediately after?

Old 10-15-2010, 03:39 PM
Official Welcome Crew Spicy Cat
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, would a fuel injected bike have a better chance of starting immediately after?
that i dont know,
but I do know no bike is meant to be on its side...
hell i know some gsxrs that spill oil when you 12oclock em.

Old 10-16-2010, 01:43 AM

it's not just the carbs that can get fouled.. you dont want oil in certain parts of the engine or too much oil... you get oil in the spark plugs, drain bowls, get oil in bowls... etc when you tip over... Like spicy said, no bike is ever meant to be turned over... regarldless if you have carbs or throttle bodies, something gets fouled.

As I said, as long as you didn't force her on you're good, if you forced her on you can have too much compression/pressure ruin the piston rings and then make things baaaad... but I think you're ok, you said you waited so I don't see any issues.

Old 10-16-2010, 07:05 PM

Yeah, I see. I guess you wouldn't expect a car to start after rolling over, so why should a bike. Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: A question concerning a tip over