CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Project Flying Turd farts and it smells good!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 12:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Project Flying Turd farts and it smells good!!!

Alright. In another post I mentioned the choke troubles. Well I got it fixed.
In this picture the top peice that has a bolt holding it was lost.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2024/...1dfa3e.jpg?v=0
I went to a honda store and they found one. So they gave it to me but there was a problem. If looking at the picture on the left side of the top bracket there was suppose to have a notch going down. It did have a notch but on the wrong side. So I hacksawed it off and got it to fit.

Once I did that I attached it to the bracket then removed the long stud that had threads on the end of each sides (Which I found out today and has been giving me mondo troubles). I put a nut on one end then held the bracket via needle nose pliers and shoved the long stud into the hole and then tightened it down...
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2231/...9b2e14.jpg?v=0

This is the left side of the bike where the stud comes through at...
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2356/...128c90.jpg?v=0

And finally I got it all together...
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2339/...e8a233.jpg?v=0

I did get a video of the bike after I started it. The carbs are way out of sink and the exhaust is stock (With I think original or some sort of dirrrrrrty dirty air filter). Not perfect but I am freaking happier than can be...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/atlanta...7602727619521/

Old 10-30-2007, 12:08 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Project Flying Turd farts and it smells good!!!

gj moving right along.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:10 AM

Sounds like your on the right path...the damn thing runs! IT'S ALIVE!!!

Old 10-31-2007, 07:31 PM

I got my new DID chain in today. All I'm waiting for now is a rear sprocket and to go back over the bike with a TQ wrench to make sure everything is as it should be.

Once that gets taken care of I'm going to get the carbs synched up. I adjusted the idle today (1,200RPMs) too and it seemed to run smooth. I drove it up and down my driveway some also. Which I talked to some people and I think they said it was common with 600s but if I'm doing say 15mph and I start to lean and turn the handle bars want to just shoot that same direction in both right and left directions. Feels weird to me and the forks are tight. Just wanting to make sure that's normal and if that goes away when you go faster.

There is also a rubber hose with a clamp on the bike that goes towards the radiator but I can't find out where it goes or what it does. I'll get a pic and look through my "Clymer" Manual.

And I need to find some exploded diagrams that describe all the bolts and what size/thread/etc they are.

Oh yeah oil change too. And what do you think would be the best motorcycle oil for the bike? I know Mobile1 has always been top notch.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:14 PM

the rubber hose might be going to the little things right below the headlight..the only hoses up there are the obvious radiator hoses and the two air hoses.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:39 PM

I managed to follow the hose. It went to the coolent resevior (Near the bottom of the shock). It wasa small skinny hose. But still can't figure out where it goes on the top unless it's an "Airhose" like you mentioned. But it has clamps on the end however I can't see anything at the radiator. I got some pictures of it but haven't uploaded them yet.

And another tube I found that I was curious about was one that came from the top of the valve cover. Fairly good sized and it went upward some towards the right of the bike.

Sorry for all the questions but first motorcycle I have worked on other than removing the top fairing to replace some blown lightbulbs in my gauges and to screw the windscreen down. And that bike was air-cooled (1994 Yamaha XJ600 SecaII)...

Old 11-01-2007, 07:38 AM

ORIGINAL: Asmittie84
Which I talked to some people and I think they said it was common with 600s but if I'm doing say 15mph and I start to lean and turn the handle bars want to just shoot that same direction in both right and left directions. Feels weird to me and the forks are tight. Just wanting to make sure that's normal and if that goes away when you go faster.
Does it feel like your riding on the edge of a butter knife? I don't know how to explain it but that's the feeling that I got on the first ride after I installed new forks in my '97 F3. The steering was touchy as hell and the bike felt unstable. After talking with another bike nut, we came to the conclusion that the tripple trees weren't in line with each other.

All I did then was loosen up the lower tripple clamps and tweaked the alignment by either
A) Brining the tire up to something secure and non-metallic (wooden post) and give a few good turning cracks into it,
B) Use a 2x4 in between the forks (carefully) and just try to pry the forks,
...to change the position of the triples by over twisting the fork tubes.

Tighten the clamps down and take her for a spin, after a few tries, I have them just where I want them. There’s probably a better way out there to do this but I’m not aware of it and also my bike is good for 100+ MPH so I believe that it worked.
~NorthernFirepower

Old 11-01-2007, 08:57 AM

Check out www.powersportspro.com to find the exploded via diagrams you are looking for. Go to the Original Parts section at the top then just put in the requested information and it will take you to your bike.

Old 11-01-2007, 11:24 PM

Bike is coming along great and looks good. I'm up in the mall of Georgia area. I have a honda manual with full diagrams if you need any other pics or diagrams

Old 11-02-2007, 11:15 PM

I got the sprocket on tonight and my rim back on. It was a pain in the *** to get that old continious chain off. Nothing a dremel tool couldn't fix.

I was going to put the new DID chain on but it was way too long and I didn't feel like screwing up a nice chain like that. So I'm going to go ahead and get the tires I got put on the bike and have the guy putting the tire on cut the chain and make it a continious chain instead of using the masterlink. That way I know everything is done properly.

So hopefully monday I can get the bike on a trailer and to the shop and have it taken care of. For now I'll double check everything.