CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

please help a noob+pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 04:38 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check you fuel line coming from the fuel pump to the tank,i had the same problem with mines, huge puddle of gas was leaking from small cracks in the old fuel line, taking off the tank on and off,and also for time i guess.Replaced both lines with fuel hose,no more problems.......just my 2 cents.

Old 03-20-2009, 04:42 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

also check the other lines on the carb.

Attached Thumbnails please help a noob+pics-carb-bowl-2.jpg  
Old 03-20-2009, 09:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! Sounds like something is seriously wrong!

My 2 inner air filters do not have a drain line; the previous owner must have removed them, so I kind of understand what your trying to explain.

Ok now bear with me on this for a minute.

For fuel to come out of this inner air filter either the carburetors floats must be stuck open and filling up the lower air box with fuel and it’s coming out the inner air filter?

The last time the owner took the bike out did it run ok?

He parked the bike and then this happened?

Or has he messed around with the fuel lines?

SIRR1

Old 03-20-2009, 11:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SIRR1
Wow! Sounds like something is seriously wrong!

My 2 inner air filters do not have a drain line; the previous owner must have removed them, so I kind of understand what your trying to explain.

Ok now bear with me on this for a minute.

For fuel to come out of this inner air filter either the carburetors floats must be stuck open and filling up the lower air box with fuel and it’s coming out the inner air filter?

The last time the owner took the bike out did it run ok?

He parked the bike and then this happened?

Or has he messed around with the fuel lines?

SIRR1
I'm glad that you can tell that there should be a drain line on your own inner air filter. It made it easier to isolate the leaky line because this drain line was still attached and so we let only this line droop out of the side of the motor to let the fuel hit the asphalt.

The owner was told on the phone by someone that a stuck float would cause this.

The owner test rode the bike up where he bought it and it wasn;t leaking. He brought it home and rode it only ONCE before this happened. So it's after he let it sit over night I guess, that this occurred the next morning at start up and from then on.

He had no reason to even take off the plastics before this and therefore hadn't touched any lines.

Since you, SIRR1, seem to believe and understand exactly what the problem is, do you recommend the only treatment is to pull the carbs and see what's going on inside?

Luckily, I did my own cleaning and synchronizing this winter so I'm familiar with them. Only I feel i'll be surprised with a jet kit, being that this SJ has a K&N filter and an AM exhaust canister.

I'm just shocked at how this could happen AFTER a test ride with the PO, and a test run back at his house. It went from running smooth and strong to rough and dangerous...