CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

(New Update #8 Lexan Assemblies) New fairing design for all F3's

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2006, 04:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New fairing design for all F3's

Hi!
i have question to you.
how hard to make a carbon or fibrglass copy of this one fairing on the picture.
what will be needs for that and how much it can cost not including materials?
thanks!

[IMG]local://upfiles/7260/FB9FE855FBFD48F8AF7143A3A778E0AC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-05-2006, 05:52 PM

hey armstrong i think you should make all the fairings in carbon fiber, now that would be cool.

Old 08-05-2006, 06:54 PM

Ha Ha Ha! Somone please send me $20,000 dollars PayPal to buy the mold presses for pieces that large and complex. I would love to do it believe me that is my dream. But raw carbon is insanely expensive now and I do not have the overhead to produce parts like that. I hope to build my business to that level by selling these types of custom and race parts that I can afford to design and produce. With this project alone there is already over $2000 invested, and the carbon parts are small but complex. Once the Ram Air assembly is complete the turn around on the carbon will make it easier to expand my business. There (is) an inexpensive way to produce them though but I would not produce it to sell to you, too much labor involed. The process is called vacum molding, and it involves draping wet carbon over your part and then placing it into a large plastic bag. You attach a shop vac to the bag and let it pull all the air from the bag, this makes the carbon mold perfectly to the part you are producing. You use a fast acting resin and after about and hour your carbon part is dry enough to be pulled and trimmed from the original part. Lots of labor trimming, custom mounting, and finishing the surface of these parts and they are aslo a mold of the outside of the part not an exact carbon replica of the original. You can find online tutorials on how to do this and it will cost you roughly a grand to produce your whole bike, which is much less than other companies charge for a full set up. I produce perfect reproductions with the use of compression molds. To answer your question, properly done, huge amounts of time, and huge amounts of money.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4965/5F93302F0345480F8198C5E7E6DD4337.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/4965/20C4B4E097FB46A3A06C815EC649C236.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-05-2006, 09:07 PM

did you ever heard about silicone form? will get about 150 piecess from one form (form will cost about 300$)
did you ever try?
no press needed for carbon fiber. only one single form.
also this piece not that large i think it easy to made.

Old 08-06-2006, 02:12 PM

How is the light output on the lexan assemblies? Can you post some wall shots with them installed and turned on? How much cuttings is involved if I decide to use my own 9006 bulbs? Can you post some pictures of the bulbs after the modification? How do you mount the headlights to the race fairing?

I like this cut out design, it goes along with the headlights much better. I will be ordering a set from you soon.

Old 08-06-2006, 10:34 PM

The new assemblies with new xenon bulbs put out a great amount of light, much better than stock. They are single element bulbs so, one will light up with low beams and they both light up on high beams (like 600RR). I will post pics of the light shots on a dark wall as soon as I have completed install pics with the new assemblies. Not much cutting is involved with the new assemblies. Very simple cut using a dremel wheel. I will include cut out patterns that stick to your fairing like a sticker, so all you do is trace around them. You have to dremel the surround off the new bulbs enough so it slides into the bulb reciever snugly. Once I have everything finished on the assemblies I will post a tutorial on how to do this conversion for yourself. Yeah the new Ram Air design works much better with the new lights. Bad thing is I have to start from square one witht he new molds for this assembly. Lights will mount to the fairing using custom carbon tabs that will epoxy to the inside of your race fairng then the assemblies are bolted to these tabs, very solid. I also sell the specific epoxy used to bond these tabs to the fairing. But this is somthing easily found at Home Depot, or Lowes. I will post pics of what the tabs look like very soon. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Old 08-06-2006, 10:39 PM

Quick survey. Which Ram Air do you guys like better A or B.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4965/BFCB3CD620F34D85AC2D1376610BBC87.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/4965/BD3E2147C17147649F090864BF9E645A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-06-2006, 11:11 PM

i would say the more rounded ends. it matches the round ends on the lights better but thats just me.

Old 08-07-2006, 12:01 AM

I vote for the rounded corner one as well. The center hole seems pretty close to the edge of the headlights, will it be difficult to cut and trim that close?

You mentioned that the single filament 9006 bulbs are for low beams, how do you get high beams on both sides? Is it possible to use 9004 or 9007 dual filament bulbs? I am hoping to get low beams on both sides.

I have an F2, any ideas on how to deal with the ram air cutout? Thanks.

Old 08-07-2006, 02:52 AM

I have not completed the design yet, but no its not hard to get that close to the light assemblies they will acctually mount to the ram air duct itself on the inside mounts. For the F2 you would simply not have the ram air cut out. You would only install the lights due to the lack of a ram air system on that bike . You would use the custom tabs to attach the inside assembly mounts in replacement of the ram air duct mounts. The bulbs are both the same high power xenon bulbs. You could set the system up to have high and low on both sides with the bulbs you mentioned. I designed the kit to install simply with the CBR's standard wiring so it would be easy for everyone. You would have to run a seperate 12v lead to power the highs and do some work with the H/L switch in order to make it function properly or run the highs on a seperate switch. You could then run into the problem of it drawing to much power from the other standard sytems on the bike yada, yada, yada. It could be done though, anything is possible.

Quick Reply: (New Update #8 Lexan Assemblies) New fairing design for all F3's