CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

New (to me) F3! Need help please....!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 03:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New (to me) F3! Need help please....!

Hey guys. i posted a while ago, about my 95 F3(the guy said it has 25k) that was sputtering in the higher gears. Well, turns out i cleaned the carbs out(well, they were clean as a whistle) and no luck.
Q#1: although the airbox was badly cracked...do i need to fix this? and can i fix it with something like JB Weld?
But, the guy i bought it from said it needed an extension tube, so i brought it to him and he lengthened the rubber air hose that goes to the carbs, and the bike ran great after that! he called it the float bowl valve, or tube, or something like that. Up until yesterday, the bike has been running like new!
Now, i have 2 questions for you guys about 2 new problems with the bike.

Q#2: First off, when i bought the bike, the bike started great with the choke on when its cold, and didn't have any problems. Now, only after about 3 weeks, whenever i start her after sitting for at least 2 or 3 hours, the bike idles very low when she is cold, very uneven idle, and stalls out. I start her again with the choke still on, and stalls again. After she runs for a minute or two, i take off the choke. She will still stall out some more. After about 10 starts, and about 4 or 5 minutes, she will stay on, and warm up, and the idle will go up and run more even. It is hot out in NY also now, so its not like the mornings are too cold. She will usually run good after that, but occasionally stall out at a red light, or when i come to a stop. What could this be?

Q#3: The bike has had a ticking coming from the right side, so i imagine its time to do a CCT. Looked at the stickies, and looks plenty easy. Would you recommend a manual or auto? But now, another sound started the other day.....Whenever i take off from a stop, i will hear a rattling coming from the same general area i think, usually when i start up in first gear. This also seems to be the same rattling that i hear when i am not gradual enough on the throttle, and i either tap it too fast, or come off it too fast, and it feels almost like something in the gear box that gives a rattle, or sounds like something loosened up down there somewhere. I could be wrong though, and maybe these are two different sounds. but they both seemed to get much more noticable in the past day or two. and when i take off in first, it almost sounds like plastic being scraped across cement, but is very quick, only lasts a second, but i will hear it periodically while driving. Any ideas what this could be? Could it be the clutch? I am not a mechanic, but am very hands on and confident i can do most of the work on my bike myself, i just don't want to go in the wrong direction, as it is hard to tell where the sound is coming from, but i think it is coming from the lower part of the bike, around the CCT or clutch area, but could be a little more foward. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Dave
Sorry this is such a long post, but i wanted to be detailed.

Old 08-19-2010, 05:05 AM
January 2012 AND 2013 Ride of the Month

Q#2...check your idle by adjust it when the by is fully warm..the other i have no clue..give it good inspection..good luck :*)

Old 08-19-2010, 03:53 PM

thanks. ok well, it turns out the mechanic said she needs a new chain and sprockets, so i will have him do that. Any other ideas? thanks
dave

Old 08-21-2010, 01:50 AM

Anyone??? I could really use some of your opinions! Thanks again.