CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

New to it all

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 01:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to it all

So I just bought a 98 smokin joes (my first bike) and it rode well the first...20 miles, then the voltage regulator/rectifier fried on me. I bought the bike used for under $3000, and expect things to be wrong with it (and really don't mind fixing too much). I just have some questions.

Firstly, is it better to just trust ebay parts if you can find them, or should I buy something like the r/r (which i have already purchased from ebay for this time) from the dealer for $100 more? Also, aside from the stator, can anything else cause the r/r to go bad? And should I look to find a r/r with a heat sync?

Another issue, firstly, to even ride the bike, I'm riding at full choke, and that's after warmup. Any time I open the throttle, I have to be easy at first, because the RPMs drop first, then build up, which makes starting moving a problem since they build back up to about 3000. When this isn't an issue, snapping the throttle open while in a neutral state causes it to make a choppy noise, not a steady increase. Does all this mean I just need to clean the carbs?

(side note) anyone have any suggestions for fairing joiner (cracks)?

I know these are a lot of questions, and I have so many more, I want to get this bike in top shape and keep it there (the guy before me seemed careless about it and not so mechanically inclined)

Old 08-17-2008, 11:46 AM
Default RE: New to it all

Ah, what a shame to have treated a mighty Smokin Joes like that! There realy aren`t THAT many around! Sounds like a proper carb cleaning and spark plug attention may be warranted. Crack repair may be an option as long as the paintwork isn`t affected much. A used piece on eBay (from time to time) may be available, depending on what piece you(him) has beendamaged. When done, this F3 will give you years of stellar service!!!

Old 08-17-2008, 01:32 PM

yeah, not to mention I just shelled out $31 for 6 bolts I've found missing so far, one of them being a gear-shift/footpeg bolt!!! (which caused problems when the single remaining bolt loosened and I had to ride back home in first gear because the plate just swung when I tried to upshift)

Old 08-17-2008, 05:04 PM

Don't worry man that happened to me on the way to work one day, had to order one from the Honda Dealer, i had to jimmyrig up something so I could make it to work and home, with shoe strings, eyeglasses frame, wood screws and twisty ties.

Old 08-17-2008, 05:23 PM

Buy a gsxr RR and throw a can of seafoam in your gas tank...maybe 2

Old 08-17-2008, 11:12 PM

Looks like I'll need to replace the chain and sprockets soon too, where's a good place to find those?

Old 08-18-2008, 02:00 AM

And should I just use seafoam and not worry about the carbs or should I thoroughly clean them? (my dad and I can do that pretty easily and carefully)

Old 08-18-2008, 02:32 AM

ORIGINAL: soccer13pro2007

Looks like I'll need to replace the chain and sprockets soon too, where's a good place to find those?
Any bike shop. I'd try to find a local place instead of a dealer; small businesses tend to have better prices.

As for the seafoam, I'd pour it in there and see how it runs. If it fixes the problem then you save the time of taking the carbs apart. If it's still bad, then you know what you have to do.