CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

needs more power

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 09:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: needs more power

Hey I found an ignition advancer but not only do i not know where it goes, but wtf does it do. Never heard of one before.

http://www.starcycle-usa.com/servlet/Detail?no=6560

Old 05-27-2008, 09:51 PM

Anyone?

Old 05-27-2008, 09:58 PM

it just advances the timing of the engine it goes in the right side of the engine towards the right and middle of this picture the round looking cover with the bolt / socket sunk into the round cover Name:  11-10-07_0137.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  43.7 KB

Old 05-27-2008, 10:00 PM

for all this trouble and money your gonna spend trying to make it faster, y not just buy a bigger bike, i know u said that eveyrone has said that before... but like i said all the time and money your spending into this 600 seems like a waste when u could just upgrade, but i mean its up to u man

Old 05-27-2008, 10:08 PM

i can't speak for everyone, but alot of people do it to race them you can't run a 1000cc bike in a 600cc class at the race track, that and its just to have the bragging rights, that i can squeeze a extra 20-50 hp out of a 600cc motor, theres nothing i like to see better than a 600cc bike putting it on a 1000cc bike

Old 05-27-2008, 11:52 PM

Does this make a huge difference?

Old 05-28-2008, 12:08 AM

it helps in the lower rpm range, if by huge you mean power wheelies in 3rd 4th 5th or 6th gear not even close lol, the main thing most people notice is better throttle response, in terms of hp i would guess around 1 maybe 2 hp gain i've never dyno'd so i don't know for sure just don't believe the hype of 20 or 30 hp gains thats just total BS unless the retard the timing and drop some nitrous then they might be rite lmao

Old 05-28-2008, 12:42 AM

so 2nd gear wheelies (not clutching) is easy... This is a pretty easy install correct?

Edit: What is the degree difference for?

Like 6 degree.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:04 AM

so 2nd gear wheelies (not clutching) is easy?
mines comes up easy in second gear and 3rd, sometimes it will just spin the tire in third instead of wheelie up depends on how cold my tires are and the psi i have in them at the time, but i also just did a -1+3 gears and chain to,

This is a pretty easy install correct?
it took me about 10 minutes to install mine. the only complaint i have is after riding hard and running high temps, is sometimes when i stop for fuel and try to start the bike back up it drags a little bit before starting but thats just normal when you advance the timing and run the bike very hard, most people probably never have this problem, but i do because i have the intake camshaft sprocket advanced 1 deg as well,

What is the degree difference for?
its just the way you measure how far your timing is advanced or retarded, by changing the degrees either + or - your changing when the spark plug will ignite the compress air/fuel in the cylinder,

Old 05-30-2008, 01:34 AM

if you're really looking to gain acceleration, the cheapest and best thing you can possibly do is to shed weight.

someone suggested lighter rims - great idea. not cheap, but very effective.

There are 3 things that make your bike fast:

- power
- weight (or lack of)
- aerodynamics

since adding power is not easy (or cheap), the other two become the top priority in my mind.

losing weight from the bike helps acceleration quite a bit. say you manage to remove 15 lbs of 'stuff' from your bike (not sure what stuff you can live w/o - it's not like you have a center stand to ditch) - that 15lbs is almost 4% of the bike's total weight. Doesn't sound like much, but think of that in car terms. a vette weighs 3200 lbs. 4% of that is over 120 lbs. Engineers KILL for 100 lbs in sports-cars. So losing 15lbs on your bike is equivilent to losing 120 on a (3200lbs) car. it helps. oh, losing the beer gut helps even more! (or being a 95 lbs girl also helps... damn fast girls at the racetrack... don't try to keep up with any girl with a white number plate!)

aerodynamics - drag increases exponentially with speed. bikes are pretty aerodynamic, but the big lumpy, fleshy thing on top of the bike is not. Tuck in. This will help top-speed more than acceleration, but cutting through the wind is cutting through the wind. - smaller turn signals (lighter too!) can't hurt. that kind of 'mod' will really be 99% in your mind, but 1% of it is doing something :P Some states only require 1 mirror. Mirrors probably cause more drag than anything else on the bike. 1 less eliminates half of that drag.

you've probably heard this before, but "speed costs money. how fast do you want to go?"

Quick Reply: needs more power