CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Name this part!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 03:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Name this part!!!

what is the relay between the R/R and the ICM? it has same color wire as what is hooked to my coils, I just spend the money for a peak voltage tester and I am getting 6 volts to the coils (not correct).... I have three different ICM's and all gave same reading. Also the spark is correct timing with the where it needs to be, just not a strong spark

Name:  061111155123.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  81.7 KB

Old 06-11-2011, 03:35 PM

I figured it out, it is the fuel pump shut off relay. nothing to do with what I need... I think i may try to find another pulse generator and try again

Old 06-11-2011, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 497 Likes on 449 Posts

You're correct, the Fuel Cut relay gets the same pulse that the #2-3 coils receive. What resistance readings are you getting through the Primary and Secondary coils ? With and without the spark plug caps on.

Old 06-11-2011, 04:54 PM

ok here is the readings,

Coil 2.3
primary 2.8
caps on 24.4
caps off 14.8

Coil 1.4
primary 2.9
cap on 25.8
cap off 14.6

all within spec...... but I do have a question, I read the primary voltage on the coils to be 12.51 volt, but I can read the Color wire (blue/yellow) to frame ground at 12.51, then when I hook it to the black/white wire straight to frame ground I also read 12.51, even with coil unhooked, its like it has two hott wires?

I do heating and air for a living so I know about 3 phase and single phase power's in A/C.... never seen that in DC volt though

Old 06-11-2011, 05:06 PM

the pulse generator is also at 563 Ohm and puts out peak 1.2 volt

(readings took at ICM)

Old 06-11-2011, 05:26 PM

there has to be something stupid simple wrong with it, I just cant figure out what

Old 06-11-2011, 09:01 PM

OK, more testing has showed me the problem... I figured out that sometimes I can read voltage across the coils and sometimes it does not ground and reads 0, unless I ground the meter itself. I think I have a bad ground for either the ICM or something of that sort.

I do have a question, if the fuel cut off relay is bad (or going bad) will the bike still run? anyone ever tried to unplug it and see if it will still fire up? I have been looking over the wire diagram on the repair book I have and it doesn't even show it in it at all

Old 06-11-2011, 09:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 497 Likes on 449 Posts

OK, here's how it works. The Black/White wire is the 12v supply for both the coils. It's also the same supply for the Fuel Cut Relay. On the coil for 1,4 the Yellow/Blue wire is the ground side or control side of the coil. On the coil for 2,3 the Blue/Yellow wire is the control side of the coil. When the coil is not firing a plug, the ICM grounds the control side of the coil. This causes a magnetic field to be created. If you were to put your meter across the coil from the Black/White wire to the Blue/Yellow wire you'd read 12v. When it's time for the plug to fire, the ICM takes the ground away from the control side. When it does, the magnetic field collapses, and as it does the field is inducing a high voltage pulse into the secondary coil which generates a spark. This ground/no ground switching is why you might be getting unusual readings. All the resistance readings are within spec and I don't think you've got an issue with your coils.

The bike will run with the fuel cut relay unplugged, however since the fuel pump would not be working, you'd be limited to the amount of fuel that's in the carburetor bowls.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:31 PM

this explains my problem.... thank you for your help IDoDirt

the ICM seems to not be grounding. When I turn key on, and check across coils I read no volts (its got power going in) just not grounded. It doesn't seem possible as all 3 ICM's I have are bad, As 2 have been run on my bike and one came directly off a running bike of a friend of mines. I need to figure out how the ICM grounds it to give the initial power up

i'm just trying to get the spark output up to par at this time, not so worried about the fuel side of it all. Till I know for sure it has good spark

Old 06-12-2011, 10:28 AM

after studying the wiring for about 3 hours last night, Figured out that the solid green wire and the green/white wire are the basic grounds for the ICM, I jumped them straight to a grounded source, and turned key on and tested for initial voltage and still found no ground. I have determined that the ICM's I have are bad. Something must be killing them. Just ordered another ICM and also a gsxr R/R (as I think this is what is killing my ICM's)...... Updates as soon as parts arrive...

Quick Reply: Name this part!!!