CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

My Ducati 748 Tail conversion.

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 02:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh, sounds like you are referring to a piggyback style reservoir.

The fox uses a remote res but with a braided line not rubber. I prefer remote because i can mount it someplace that is easy to get to, and i think they look cool mounted to the sub frame plus the comp adjuster is on the res.

Ohlins has a piggyback shock with a remote adjuster i had one on my F4i, it was a nice piece. (yes i know the chain is loose and bike is dirty, straight of the race trailer, not ridden like that.)

Last edited by 6 Fingered Man; 01-22-2011 at 02:12 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:05 PM

Clip-ons will never slide down the tubes if they are tight. Newer bikes secuire that same way for the most part. Sounds like someone forgot to tighten them if that happened. Think about it, if a pinch clamp is enough force to hold the tubes in the triples and hold the whole bike up its a more than viable system to hold up a set of bars with a small amount of rider weight on them.

And ya, nothing looks much better than those dual termi's but the FBF pipes look SICK on them also. I had a 748 tail with no undertail pipes, I think it looked good.

Last edited by 6 Fingered Man; 01-22-2011 at 02:10 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:10 PM

^^i like it

Old 01-22-2011, 03:20 PM

Yes fingerless, piggyback I like the look of the remote, but when It comes to suspension I can care less about look, more important is functionality.

I wasn't going to comment on chain or dirt, I see race plastics so I can understand

As far as clipons... I've seen weird **** happen, everything is possible... also second thing I can see being a problem is when you get into an accident... right now it's designed almost to break off, I think that way may cause damage to the fork. Just thoughts, nothing more.

Old 01-22-2011, 06:00 PM

I can assure you they functional as well below as above. Take a walk through the paddock at your next local CCS race you will see many, many bikes with this setup. Riding position preferance and nothing more. If they came loose you would notice them slide forward first time you hit the brakes,would be a much bigger issue than them sliding down.

As for function, I agree with ya 100%, all ,my bikes get decent suspension before anything else, i preach suspension all the time. The best penske shock you can buy is a remote res, functions the same as a piggyback. Lots of bikes have remote over piggyback because there is simply not enough room at the top mount location for a nitrogen reservoir.

Im wraping up the tail mouting today ill post a pic for ya kerosene.

Old 01-22-2011, 06:20 PM

different

Old 01-22-2011, 07:04 PM

Awesome, gives you more aggressive sitting position on the bike, does it feel better in turns under full lean? The f3 has a more laxed position for riding, and one of the things that bugged me was when leaning it was a little awkward to hang off (obviously not crossed over.) I was thinking about putting the clipons under at one point when i was working on the bike but I thought it might be opening myself to some additional issue... I think I'll try it out, I'll be taking the bike down to the frame in a week, so I'll do it then. Thanks

Suspension imo only goes so far... but considering that's what keeps your *** from going down after hitting a bump or going into a turn, you better have it set correctly... I'll be changing mine out for f4i with a link to drop it next week or 2, hopefully it'll feel good... I've read good reviews about the F4i shock and spring, supposedly it's much stiffer and responsive than the F3.

Sounds good, you guys are moving along fast.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:39 PM

Suspension only goes so far? Your opinion and mine differ there i guess. I will take the best i can get and have it function as well as possible. I have been racing bikes my whole life and have beet 120 HP 600's on a 50hp hawk by having a bike that handles better and riding the wheels of it. But your right it has to be set up correctly, you can have $1000 shock on the bike with the wrong spring in it, It'll handle like a plate of hot dogs.

Here is the tail mounted, still want to adjust the angle and clean up some of the fab work before I can strip it for paint.

The Shock res mounted, my buddy and master welder drew bolting it on.

Tail off, Res bracket, cant find the good camera sorry for the ****ty pics.

Still a long ways to go on the tail section, and a very long way on the bike. But hey, we have the rest of the winter it will get done.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:55 PM

How much longer is the f4i shock than the fox? Take some time and figure out what the rear ride height change is going to do to the bike before you lower it. A lot of bikes (especially older sport bikes) respond really positively to an increase in rear height.

Buy "Sportbike Suspension Tuning" by Andrew Trevitt it will give you the base knowledge to start to dial in your suspension and geometry.

http://www.amazon.com/Sportbike-Susp.../dp/1893618455

The race tech suspension bible is also a great book but if i had to choose it would be Andrews book. Plus he is recovering from a paralyzing street bike accident and could use the support.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by ***** Mo
^^i like it
Thanks Man!

Quick Reply: My Ducati 748 Tail conversion.