CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

My Ducati 748 Tail conversion.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 09:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Ducati 748 Tail conversion.

I had previously mounted a f2 tank and a 748 tail to a hawk i had. Loved the look so i decide to go that route with the f3 project bike.
Here is what i have done so far. If anyone is interested once this is finished i plan to cut the whole subframe off, reproduce it in aluminum, at that point You would be able to make some mounts and bolt on the aluminum subframe and tail. I would make a few and sell them at my cost. Let me know if there is an interest in these?

So we started by Chopping of everything besides the the top tails and the tank mount, shortened the top rails and filled in the holes left in the frame.

Ten used the leftover tubing to fabricate the new bottom supports.

The tail needs a big rise to get the lines right and i wanted the battery under the seat. So we had to make risers and a battery box, ok its mote of a mount than a box but it works well and doesn't weigh much.

Taped and threaded some holes in the top bar to secure the tail to.

Still have to clean up some welds and neaten up some of the fab work. Also Have to fab up mounting brackets to bolt on the underside of the tail. I'll post more pics as i progress.

Oh, and if you look close you can see some of the work i have done re wiring and moving the wiring and electrical components to where the vacuum system used to be.

Wiring and final mounting of electrical components is far from done.

Last edited by 6 Fingered Man; 01-21-2011 at 10:05 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-21-2011, 11:42 AM

looking good man, Id love to do that to my f3, but i need to get her running first lol.

Old 01-21-2011, 01:08 PM

will the battery be laying on it's side like that for the finished product?

you can try replacing the shock with a f4i, the reservoir is attached to the shock, you might need a lowering link though (I'll be verifying in 2 weeks) I know it raises the rear a lot which ruins the geometry of the bike... the lowering link might fix that.

Old 01-21-2011, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by kerosene
will the battery be laying on it's side like that for the finished product?

you can try replacing the shock with a f4i, the reservoir is attached to the shock, you might need a lowering link though (I'll be verifying in 2 weeks) I know it raises the rear a lot which ruins the geometry of the bike... the lowering link might fix that.

I have a really nice fox shock in it, has adjustable ride height, and it just got back from traxion dynamics from a fresh rebuild. Wont be replacing it any time soon, way better than stock f4i unit. I haven't done the geometry yet on the bike. Just installed it and set sag.I still have to get racetech .95 springs for the forks.

Yup the batery will stay on its side. its sealed.

Old 01-21-2011, 03:07 PM

Ss brake lines

Old 01-21-2011, 03:45 PM

Yup, it has SS braided lines on it those where the first thing on there, and HH pads, also 41mm woodcraft clip-ons, and it will be getting woodcraft rear sets.

I have a Nissan 5/8 master cylinder and a nice brembo but neither have a brake switch so i have the stock m/c on there for now because i hate banjo bolt pressure switches, they just look like ****.

Old 01-21-2011, 03:53 PM

This is meant to be a bike that is %100 street legal but it will be safety wired and race prepped so i will be able ride it to the track and race it if i want.

Problem is a 13 year old bike is not competitive in current CCS middleweight classes but I'm going to let my buddy drew get his license on it and run it in novice, you can win riding a scooter in novice if ya know what you are doing.

But really it is being built to meet my dream of having a race ready street bike.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:16 PM

I saw the Fox Strut, shame that the reservoir isn't attached to the strut.

You put the clipons under the triple tree, any reason why?

Are you going to run the exhaust under the tail?

Old 01-22-2011, 12:42 PM

Not sure what you mean about the shock reservoir. It mounts in about the same place that all fox remote reservoir shocks mount which is the same spot almost all remote reservoir shocks in general attach. Mounts at the top of the shock body above the preload adjuster and below the top mount. Realy the only place it can go. I just not understand what you are saying.

I am making a bracket to mount the reservoir to the subframe on the left side of the bike it will be mostly hidden by the tail piece.

I put the clipons under the triples because it gives me good feel and body position in a crouch. If i ride it a bit and it feels to low i will move them but the clipons are below on all my race bike and sportbikes. Just feels good.

Funny you ask, I had planed an under tail exhaust. Ducati style, but then i got a shorty slip on can from a friend and slid it on and liked the look. I might try the tyga maggot can and if i like the look keep the can where it is, if not ill get another tyga and do a dual under tail ducati style.

You can kinda see the shorty that's on there now in the this pic. I don't like this one, its to big in diameter but i like the style.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:45 PM

The stock shock's reservoir is mounted on the peg and air is supplied by a ugly rubber tube... the F4i has the reservoir directly on the shock which cleans up things a bit. So you'll make a bracket for the reservoir, that's sweet, what I did was cut off the stock from the peg and used that as a proper bracket and just welded it on under the tail...

Only bad part about having the clipons like that is there's always that slight chance that the clipons will loosen move and go down... I think the newer bikes have a different way they're secured, not too positive about that though

Yea the one on there looks like a chopped stock exhaust. The Ducati tails always looked good imo thanks to the termi exhausts, they finish the tail off, looks boring and empty otherwise (my opinion.)

Quick Reply: My Ducati 748 Tail conversion.