CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

My bike is surging / jolting / hesitant

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2021, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator
Received 497 Likes on 449 Posts

@Drew2785 Do you have an F3? Why are you trying to bypass the Air Vent Solenoid Valve? That is what helps ensure the carburetors perform optimally between slow speeds and higher speeds when it has to deal with the ram air effect. The Air Vent Solenoid Valve controls the pressure of the air in the airspace in the upper half of the float bowls. The light blue shows the air path below 12mph, and the orange is for above. The purple is the path it takes to get into the carburetor bodies.

In this picture, item #4 is a hole in the upper part of the Carburetor Body (the carburetors are upside-down in this picture). The Air Vent Solenoid Valve controls where the air is coming from. Below 12mph, the air comes from little "Deer Whistle" looking intakes right below the headlight. Above 12mph, the air is supplied from the main air intake duct which is being pressurized by the movement of the motorcycle as it moves forward.

Item #6 in the image below is what the Air Vent Solenoid Valve is supplying. The is one of the T fittings between each of the 2 carburetors. Between 1 and 2 as well as 3 and 4.

Old 12-10-2021, 03:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank you

Originally Posted by IDoDirt
@Drew2785 Do you have an F3? Why are you trying to bypass the Air Vent Solenoid Valve? That is what helps ensure the carburetors perform optimally between slow speeds and higher speeds when it has to deal with the ram air effect. The Air Vent Solenoid Valve controls the pressure of the air in the airspace in the upper half of the float bowls. The light blue shows the air path below 12mph, and the orange is for above. The purple is the path it takes to get into the carburetor bodies.

In this picture, item #4 is a hole in the upper part of the Carburetor Body (the carburetors are upside-down in this picture). The Air Vent Solenoid Valve controls where the air is coming from. Below 12mph, the air comes from little "Deer Whistle" looking intakes right below the headlight. Above 12mph, the air is supplied from the main air intake duct which is being pressurized by the movement of the motorcycle as it moves forward.

Thank you very much for the help I have had the fairings taken off and the bike would jump round like a kangaroo when I try and open it up in high revs then had the air solenoid bypassed now it floods at low end and a beast at high end

Item #6 in the image below is what the Air Vent Solenoid Valve is supplying. The is one of the T fittings between each of the 2 carburetors. Between 1 and 2 as well as 3 and 4.
problem I had was I don't have the origonal speedo fitted all fairings obviously have been taken off so at first bike was jolting me at high revs them bypassed the air solenoid now its fine at high revs but flooding at low revs

Old 12-10-2021, 07:33 AM
Super Moderator

So, you bypassed the Air Vent Solenoid Valve. How did you accomplish that? It has 3 hoses on it. Are any of them connected still? I suspect the Yellow line is connected, and at low speed, it is providing too much air.

Old 12-10-2021, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by IDoDirt
So, you bypassed the Air Vent Solenoid Valve. How did you accomplish that? It has 3 hoses on it. Are any of them connected still? I suspect the Yellow line is connected, and at low speed, it is providing too much air.
HI thank u very much for the reply it has been set as per the picture but its the opposite issue now its taking on to much fuel and flooding the solenoid has been removed and the gape created joined I belive. The original problem when it was all set up as standard was at high revs it was taking in to much air now I have the problem of it flooding but runs great if you absolutely smash the revs the issue I think starts at the fact I have changed the speedo from the origonal

Last edited by Drew2785; 12-10-2021 at 05:14 PM. Reason: More info
Old 12-10-2021, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, the Speedometer sends a signal to activate the Air Vent Solenoid Valve via a Pink wire at 12mph. Did you start another thread? Take some photo's so we can see what you have.

Old 05-09-2023, 10:12 AM
Default Headlight Wiring

Originally Posted by bmxr123
So i have been building this 96 cbr600f3 streetfighter..She is a bad beast..But after I took the guages off and mounted an old school headlight, the bike surges sporatically. When i pulled the gauges i had to chop all the plugs that go into them in order to fit the harness into the headlight..I didn't really tape off all of the wire ends either. Is it possible that one of them could be grounding out? I just ran through the carbs, checked for vacuum leaks, checked fuel pump, changed the spark plugs, changed the fuel filter, so I know it has to be electrical. This would make sense because when it comes to wiring i have NO IDEA what im doing. My question is this: What should i check for in the wiring on the harness? Should i tape off all of these wire ends that i chopped? Thanks in advance for any advice!

I figured i would post a pic of the f3 im doing..I did the cbr600rr tail conversion myself..As long as you have a welder and some time its an awesome beginner's fabrication project!

Attachment 40739

Howdy i am looking to find out how you wired up ur headlight as i’m looking to do the same it not similar one