CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

my 97 cbr refurbish/rebuild project!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 02:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my 97 cbr refurbish/rebuild project!

alright as of now im having some issues with my bike and am working on correcting all of them as i go along. this is my first sport bike so its a learning experience. i paid $800 for it and it ran...rough. it looked like this

started to tear it apart one day. it was (and still is) missing both of the tubes on the bottom of the tank. needed a new fuel filter. needed the choke bent back so it wasnt on all the time. the idler adjuster was completely disconected. and one of the floats in the carb was practically gone.

i also replaced the speedo since the one i had as soon as i turned the key it registered 45 mph at 6000 rpm with the engine off lol. and i got new fairings for it!

as of two days ago it looks like this! drop dead SEXY!

it has a total of about two miles on it since the rebuilding so far. and last night it blew the fuse for the speedo. no biggie i had a spare in the spare holder. but it was a 30 instead of the called for 10. it got me the 1/2 mile home though. now i started the bike this morning let it warm up and pushed it out of the garage. was going to go to auto zone and get the correct fuse. but i lost ALL electrical power. turn the key and nothing. no headlight no lights at all wont crank. not sure what the hell happened. any help would be much welcomed!!! thanks for reading my rebuild story ill keep the thread updated as i go along!

Old 10-08-2011, 03:06 PM

turns out it was my main fuse keeping it from starting! fixed that and then it blew the 10 amp fuse for my speedo in about 3 seconds. is there anywhere common for the speedo to ground out at?

Old 10-08-2011, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 498 Likes on 450 Posts

Looks like you're having a great time with it. Great job man. Judging by how much you had it apart, it could be anywhere. According to the wiring diagram, the Turn Signals, Horn, Meter, Front and Rear Brake, and Tail Lite all run off of the same fuse. Although it says it's supposed to be a 15A fuse. You should verify that. Anyway, I'd starting by getting a handful of fuses, because it can be a challenging thing to find. If you're handy with a meter, you can check for Continuity from the output side of the fuse holder for that fuse to the frame. If you show something like 20 ohms or something low like that then you've probably got a short. Leave the meter connected and start unplugging connectors that are related to those circuits. When you loose the continuity, then you know that the short is down stream from the connector you just unplugged. It's a trial and error process.

Old 10-08-2011, 05:53 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Great looking transformation. Hope you find the gremlin soon!

Old 10-08-2011, 06:12 PM
Official Welcome Crew Spicy Cat
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pretty bike
keep the pictures coming!

Old 10-08-2011, 08:07 PM

Thanks for the comments guys! Think I found it. Before I had the bike the turn signals got changed to two wire. Well the third wires were in capped and just hanging. Haven't tested it yet though......I need more fuses lol.....

Old 10-09-2011, 12:25 AM

Stop by harbor freight for fuses super cheap.

Old 10-09-2011, 06:17 AM

thanks fvor the hint about harbor freight i buy everything from them didnt even think about fuses lol. but that ground on the turn signal was the issue. now that it starts and runs again its time to face the other issues at hand.

it runs rough from about 4k-6.5k i have spark on all 4 new plugs and the coils and wires are ran the correct way. after i cleaned and rebuilt the carbs i went out and bought the vaccum gauges and synced them myself. idk maybe i need to re-sync them....any one have any idead about this. im thinking fuel pump maybe? the guy that i bought it off of said it has a new fuel pump but it sure as hell doesnt look like it.

oh and i replaced the clogged *** fuel filter with a APC easy replaceable fuel filter about two weeks ago. will that make any difference since its not OEM?

Last edited by IDoDirt; 10-09-2011 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Double Post
Old 10-10-2011, 06:45 PM
Default fuel filter

i just replaced the old oem filter on my project bike, with like a cheap $3 universal one and have had no problems.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:17 AM

do you think that the fuel pump is having trouble delivering fuel to the engine when its supossed to. like trouble priming or kicking on? is there any way i can check this idea?

Quick Reply: my 97 cbr refurbish/rebuild project!