CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

MOSFET or shunt type regulator/rectifier

Old 05-28-2010, 12:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MOSFET or shunt type regulator/rectifier

I've done some searches and reading on regulator/rectifiers and have seen alot of positive opinions on a newer MOSFET type regulator over the stock shunt type. I've also read the MOSFETs have a hesitation on start up which won't put an immediate load on your electrical system, which is good. The MOSFETs run cooler and work better BUT now the question: I've seen one from a Kawasaki Ninja 600 and Kawasaki ZX10 mentioned, what all bikes and years uses this MOSFET type regulator? Will the regulator from a bigger bike like a R1, ZX14, 'Busa, etc. work on a 600F3 or is the output about the same?

Old 09-14-2010, 10:03 AM

I know this is quite a late response. Dunno if you found your answer, but any mosfet type will work. Since all modern vehicles run on 12V, the output of all R/Rs is designed to charge a 12V system (about 14V). I ahve a ZX-10 unit. Works great.

VERY USEFUL HINT: You can tell a shunt type vs. mosfet type by the part number. Shunt (SCR) types will have the part number start with SH, mosfet types will start with FH.

I think that about 100% of R/Rs made for bikes are made by the same company, Shindengen. So the part # scheming will be the same.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:35 PM

Are these plug in play? or do you need a new clip for it as well?

Old 09-14-2010, 12:42 PM

No. Not plug and play. There are sources that sell the correct connectors, but I just popped the wires (with spade connectors) out of the stock plastic connector and individually hooked them up to the ZX10 R/R.

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y10...t=DSCN1648.jpg
http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y10...t=DSCN1650.jpg

Last edited by thedudeman; 09-14-2010 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Pcitures were HUGE
Old 09-14-2010, 01:04 PM

That looks doable. and it doesnt looked "hacked" so to speak. I was just going to get a replacement OEM one, but these stock ones do not seem to cut it.(not trying to jack the thread) but my bike isnt starting at all, i put a different battery on it (from my other honda cb750) and my battery was fully charged, i turned it key on 750 and light and all work on it. i put it on the cbr and nothing turned on, all i could do was turn my alarm off and on, on the cbr. so i threw my battery charger on it think i could jump it that way and still nothing, but i did notice the battery was being drained, it was fully charged, and when i put it on the cbr it went down to the yellow light. so im hoping its the Rectifer. I checked all the fuses too. they are good. OEM honda recifiers are the bastards child of the charging system *excuse the french*

Brandon

Old 09-14-2010, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by thedudeman
I know this is quite a late response. Dunno if you found your answer, but any mosfet type will work. Since all modern vehicles run on 12V, the output of all R/Rs is designed to charge a 12V system (about 14V). I ahve a ZX-10 unit. Works great.

VERY USEFUL HINT: You can tell a shunt type vs. mosfet type by the part number. Shunt (SCR) types will have the part number start with SH, mosfet types will start with FH.

I think that about 100% of R/Rs made for bikes are made by the same company, Shindengen. So the part # scheming will be the same.
I don't need one anymore, I got rid of the bike back in June but thanks for the info anyway.

Old 06-16-2011, 02:18 PM

So I can't seem to find a thread specific as to which exact units will work. Is there one I am missing? I want to replace my R/R on my F3. I have an aftermarket one, but it's still a piece of crap. Pretty sure it's fried, puts out ~20v around 5k.

Old 06-16-2011, 02:36 PM

Anything over 15v will kill your battery. I fitted a electrex reg/rec its working great and hardly gets warm. ive heard good things about tourmax reg/recs too. As already stated any reg/rec for a 12v system will work its just a matter of cutting off the connectors and fitting the ones off your old one. If you do decide on a 2nd hand one id go with 2006+

Old 06-21-2011, 11:00 PM

ANy thoughts on the made in china ones that are around $50 on fleabay? I am somewhat wary to get a used one, and it looks like prices may be around the same or more for a used factory one.

Old 06-22-2011, 03:57 AM
Official Welcome Crew Spicy Cat
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

picked up the gixxer one for 50 bucks.
for what it offers and how stable it is for our bikes, id recommend it

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MOSFET or shunt type regulator/rectifier