CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

low set idle causes bike engine to shut off at stop and wont start up

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 02:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default low set idle causes bike engine to shut off at stop and wont start up

sorry guys im sure its a newb question... i was on my first ride ever... which i fully enjoyed minus this encounter...

well the guy i bought the bike from left the idle control **** very low... and wehn i was riding around and at a stop i would leave the gear in neutral and 3 times the engine shut off///

than i coulnt even start the engine...so was freaking out...
i called him and he came and played with the idle making it higher around 1500 rpms....

is this a common thing??
what idle do you set your f3s?

thanks guys

Old 05-03-2007, 03:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: low set idle causes bike engine to shut off at stop and wont start up

Its about 1100 to 1200 rpm depending on the country, Calafornia models are 1400 + or - 100, the CBR's don't like idling to low.

Old 05-03-2007, 04:58 AM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy
Default RE: low set idle causes bike engine to shut off at stop and wont start up

i set mine @ around 1200-1500 i like to be able to let out the clutch and start rolling .

Old 05-03-2007, 01:55 PM

I always have my idle a little high (1500-2000) when I first start my bike and after she warms up the idle always goes up to around 2000-2200 so I idle down to 1000 as long as the bike stays warm (not stoping the engine any time soon).It seems that if you give some throttle just as your turn your engine over it will start every time (Like if you stall or stop at a gas station)

Old 05-08-2007, 01:37 AM

ok so now i have been leaving my idle at 1500rpms...however the next day when i start up...the idle isnt at 1500 but rather lower,,,and has a hard time starting up again...or even stalls when im stopped during my rides...so im finding that im always playing around with the idle **** now to maintain the 1500rpms...

besides checking the fuel filtre ...what else might cause this??
spark plugs?

looking forward to some advice
thanks

Old 05-08-2007, 02:35 AM

could it be the thickness of your oil. When you start your bike in the mourning the oil is thick, causing the RPM's to be low. Later on in the day the oil warms up and causes the RPM's to rise do tofriction.

I don't know. just my .02

Also, how about your idle screw on the carbs. Maybe it's time to sync them?

Old 05-08-2007, 12:50 PM

Like I said already...give some throttle when you start and also bring up your idle screw until your engine is warm. Are you using your choke when you start cold?

Old 05-09-2007, 10:30 AM

yes on the days i have hard time starting ive been giving it some throttle... and raising the rpms with the idle ****...

however my bike stalls here and there after long rides....and just last night im driving and i notice the throttle response sucked.... and than the engine shuts off on me in the middle of the road!
i talked to a nearby garage and im gona be taking my bike in soon....

im guessing its either the spark plugs/dirty carburator/ or God knows what? some guys here think i should check the fuel filter... who knows ....

Old 07-08-2007, 06:44 AM

Dirty carbs, i would imagine. The problem you have when riding sounds like carb freeze, this can be cured by using Pro fst fuel addative but as you say it does start sometimes it could be dirty carbs. If it cuts out and wont start immediately this could be the fuel freezing inside the carbs and when your leaving it the ambient engine heat warms the fuel inside and this could explain why the bike will start after a while. But i would imagine it could be the carbs being dirty. Try the fuel treatment, it helps clean it out over time.

Old 07-08-2007, 10:48 AM

Carbs are most likely dirty. I'm going through this same thing, but I try not to mess with the idle adjustment as it is Ok when warm. What I do is just give it a little gas when the idle slows to like 1k rpm and keep it running until I start to ride. Once I start to ride it runs fine. Still need to clean and adjust the carbs though and will probably do so on the next few rainy days since I have been rising every sunny day so far, nearly the whole last month.

Quick Reply: low set idle causes bike engine to shut off at stop and wont start up