CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Looking at 96 f3... what would you pay???

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 11:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at 96 f3... what would you pay???

Hello all, great site! I'm looking at getting a cheap first bike. I've just been watching craigslist for the last couple weeks and I've come across afew cbr's I'm interested in. The one I'm asking about is a 96 f3 and it is in rough shape...

Name:  5-2320247.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  53.1 KB

The guy has owned it for 7 years and he bought it with 3k miles on it, it has 17k on it now. He said it has been down 3 times, once in the lawn, once in a parking lot and once when a trailer tip over (no idea about that one). All the plastic is fubard, though he still does have the tail section that can be repaired.He has ridden it 1000 miles in the condition it is in now.

The radiator has a fixable leak and the master cylinder is leaking (this was caused by the trailer incedent).

My question is what would you guys pay for this bike? Is it even worth buying (I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty and wrench on my own bike)? He has it listed for $1500.

How much does new used plastic usually go for? I figured I'd just leave it the way it is until I get the hang of riding.

And I guess while I'm here I might has well ask another question... all the other f2 and f3 cbr's that I'm looking at have high miles (30-40k) and the price ranges from $2000-2500. Is that amount of miles to much for the price (as long as everything else is in decent shape)?

Thanks for any incite any of you might have!

Old 05-24-2008, 11:44 AM
Default RE: Looking at 96 f3... what would you pay???

I wouldn't pay over a grand, and that might even be too much IMO. I'd have to look at it close up, but it looks like it's got A LOT of stuff wrong with it.

Old 05-24-2008, 11:52 AM

I paid 1500 for my bike and it is in pretty good shape. Just missing the left and right fairings.

Im doinga restore on it now.

Old 05-24-2008, 12:15 PM

What years of plastic will fit? He's got a 94 front clip on there now to hold the headlightand dash in. Will f2 and f4 stuff work?

I'm still considering this because I haven't come across many good deals around here, MN, all the bikes in my price range are either super old or they havevery high miles.

I read the email he sent me again and it turns out he put 4000 miles on it last summer in the condition it is in now, besides the collant leak that is. He said the coolant appears to be leaking from where the inlet hose attaches to the radiator...

Old 05-24-2008, 12:17 PM

1000 is fair if the engine runs well. If not... 500 bucks.
Price it out... 1k for the engine, prolly 5-600 for a new set of fairings, 4-500 for asstd. parts like windscreen, mirrors, lever, bar ends, gas tank, signals, etc.
Lookin at 2k for a good running good looking bike... in the end.

Old 05-24-2008, 12:18 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-H...spagenameZWDVW

smokin joe fairings. Looks like that bike might have been an original sj.. not sure.

edit: nah, the wheels are black. not original sj, but you culd turn it into a clone.

Old 05-24-2008, 01:02 PM

Cool thanks ta8218... how do you find those? I saw the ebay ads on the right side of the forum, but when I try to search for other ones in ebay they don't show up.

How does the replica plastic fit? I know on chevy trucks (my currentaddiction)the non-oem stuff fits horrible.

How long do the engines and drivetrains usually last in these bikes? Do they have any common problems like the 2nd gear thing with yamahas?

Old 05-24-2008, 02:04 PM

Well the guy said yes he would take $1000 for it... so if it has not sold by next weekend I'm gonna go look at it. When I'm looking at it, what should I look for? I'm gonna have him cold start it to look for smoke and make sure it idles properly?

Old 05-24-2008, 03:19 PM

ORIGINAL: atv_freak

Cool thanks ta8218... how do you find those? I saw the ebay ads on the right side of the forum, but when I try to search for other ones in ebay they don't show up.

How does the replica plastic fit? I know on chevy trucks (my currentaddiction)the non-oem stuff fits horrible.

How long do the engines and drivetrains usually last in these bikes? Do they have any common problems like the 2nd gear thing with yamahas?
I personally don't know about the aftermarket PLASTIC stuff, but the fiberglass stuff fits like garbage. I think the common opinion of the plastics like I linked you is that slight modification (probably shaving tabs and stuff) and they do the job. As far as drivetrains, if they are well maintained, you can see 100k+

Old 05-25-2008, 12:37 PM

I just bought a bike just like that same color scheme in perfect showroom cond. With 9k on it and paid 3k for it. Dont know if that will help you out on what it might be worth or not...