CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

K&N vs Stock Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 07:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N vs Stock Air Filter

Question: I'm running my CBR 600 F3 with a Vance & Hines SS2R Slip-on, Stage I DynoJet kit, Ignition adv -2, and a K&N Filter. Someone mentioned to me that I might get more hp if I ran a stock air filter. Does anyone know if that's true? I couldn't find any data to support this ... and I don't have the time or $$ to run my bike on a dyno with both filters.

Thanks!

Old 09-11-2007, 12:32 AM
Default RE: K&N vs Stock Air Filter

I've heard the same thing. I know K&N let in a lot more air + more materials. The stock air filter will let in less materials but also less air. If you've got the K&N just keep just get the stock filter. It's cheaper thanhaving the stock and getting the K&N.

Old 09-11-2007, 08:20 AM

K&N filters will make more hp but only if you tune your bike for it. Most people don't use K&N filters because its too much work for too little gain.

Old 09-11-2007, 06:05 PM

My bike runs perfect ... so I guess I'll forget that advice for now. Also, I set up my jets for an aftermarket exhaust and filter ... so a stock filter might make it run too rich.

Thanks for the replies ... just wondering if any had any data.

Old 09-14-2007, 11:41 PM

I run a K&N with aftermarkets on an f4 and D-40 is right... just as long as everything is tuned correctly it will run with more power than stock. If you know how to do it, it's well worth theextrahp.Just make sure the K&N iscleaned and charged and this actually prevents junk from going through the filter.

Old 09-15-2007, 04:38 PM

I put a k&n today. Didn't notice any change. I have a full micron and stage 1 carb kit.

Old 09-17-2007, 05:37 PM

But one critical point many people overlook is that the airbox is pressurized,and designed for paper.The only time a high-flow filter is beneficial is when you have done lots of hop-ups to your motor.SV650s also make more power with paper filters.I learned this through my racebike and my wallet. [:@] But that's what it takes to win over here

Old 11-04-2007, 07:16 AM

Kjohnson,

I like your thinking ... it makes sense that the airbox is pressurized. Have you seen any articles on this? I'm sure that goes for the newer bikes aswell.

Winter is coming and I'm trying to find projects for my bike. However, it's been tuned really well .. ecspecially afer I put the ignition adv in. I may just sync the carbs ... that hasn't been done since I've owned the bike (5+ yrs).

Cheers

Old 11-04-2007, 08:36 PM

Seen articles?

Don't believe everything you read.Some "articles" say an aftermarket oil filter is just as good as OEM. Nope.

But I have done lots of dyno work to learn this.The only time K&N is beneficial is when there is motor work done (head cleaned up/flowed/seriously decked,oversized valves),14 to 1 compression,decked block,adj sprockets,huge cams,reverse radiator flow, yadda yadda.With a stock motor (this includes ign advancer,pipe/full system) paper works best.EMGO makes a paper filter for 25 bucks retail.

Old 11-04-2007, 08:54 PM

One buddy of mine who had a F2 drilled holes in his airbox(I'm sure above the filter) and he said it made a difference. Which I'm about to get my carbs synched and I'm going to go ahead and put a K&N filter in just becuase I like how easy they are to clean.

And in a few months I'll put on new exhaust and do some more to the carbs(Not sure what yet. I need to do more reseach) to give it some more pep.

I did hear many people say that the Exhaust doesn't really matter on a bike when it comes to adding horsepower. It's more for sound than anything.

Quick Reply: K&N vs Stock Air Filter