CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Just got my first bike, need some help

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 06:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got my first bike, need some help

Hey guys, i came across a decent deal on a 98 cbr600 f3 so i decided to pick it up, had a few questions so i saw this site and hoped maybe you guys could help.Ok what happened was when i first got the bike i wanted to change the plugs, so after i did and reconnected the spark plug wires, it wouldnt start i just kept trying to crank it and start it but it wouldnt.

so i ordered a repair manual and found out that i put the spark plug wires back on in the wrong order, I put em on right and i started up. The problem is that once i take it off choke, it dies but if i keep on the gas when i take it off it stays running. Basically it only idels on choke. I remember playing with the idle screw when i first got the bike, i didnt know what it was at first so i just twisted it a bunch of times. is it possible i twisted it so much that it got disconnected from the carbs or wherever it connects to? becuase now when i start it and let it idle in choke nothing happens when i twist the idle screw.

Old 10-02-2006, 11:26 AM
Default RE: Just got my first bike, need some help

Yeah - you may have set the idle so low it won't run. What I'd do is get it idling somewhere <2k with the choke and then start turning the idle screw (clockwise) until the revs start to rise. If after a few revolutions of the ****, revs don't rise, you probably backed it all the way out til it fell out. I've never messed with it on the F3 but I'll bet you have to pull the seat and the tank to get to it to reattach it.

Oh and if you don't know what it is, it's probably a bad idea to f-around with it.

Old 10-10-2006, 04:29 AM

I found the problem, after i took the gas tank off, i saw the end of the idle adjusting cable fell out with the screw and spring on it at the end, but does anyone know where it goes back in? i cant figure it out

Old 10-11-2006, 02:20 PM
Banned

Try this link, it's a manual (thanks to Paul Square).

It's located on page 5-22... I looked it over but didn't really see too much, maybe you will.

http://www.stephygee.com/F3manual.zip

Next time, leave it alone! Hehe, have fun.

Old 10-13-2006, 06:03 PM
Banned

While trying to troubleshoot some of my own problems, I remembered about your idle cable issues. If you haven't fixed it by now, I've got some pics for you I took to help a bit...

That's an overall shot - you're gonna have to remove the gas tank, and possibly the air cleaner housing (maybe not - it'll be an effing b-word if not)...

That's the end of the adj. cable - you're gonna be cussing, I can tell. Have fun!