CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

jetting an f3 for altitude

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 08:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question jetting an f3 for altitude

i live 6,700 feet above sea level and need to rejet, clean and sync my carbs, what kits are you guys that live at altitude using? dont really know anything about carbs but the work needs to be done so i am gonna cross my fingers, buy a repair manual and dive in during the winter months

Old 10-20-2010, 08:20 AM

I am doing the same thing here in Denver. A complete tear down.
I too would like this info.

Old 10-20-2010, 04:10 PM

I haven't done this yet, but also plan to this winter. I live in Denver and my bike is a cali bike. this is what i have picked up from reading here and on fireblades.org. since i haven't done this myself, i'm not sure how accurate this info is. it's just what i have read.

depending on mods, you may or may not need a jet kit. you can buy small washers and install them under the current jet, to space it up. this is enough in some cases, but there is limit to how much you can accomplish with this. I have read some opinions that there is never a need for a jet kit, others say it depends.

the process, as i understand it, is somewhat time consuming, and there is an art to it. It involves adjusting/replacing jets, then running the bike. at different RPM's, you turn off the bike and coast to a stop. you then inspect the spark plugs, which by their color will tell you if the bike is lean, rich, etc, at that RPM point. you then readjust the jets, and try again. as you can see, this must be done at least a couple times, depending how far off the jets were to begin with, and at different RPM's, and every time you do it, you have disassemble everything, then put it all back together.

the other option is if you have a dynometer, you can tune for max HP or for perfect AFR's, but most people don't have that.

If you want a shop to do it, I talked to a Harley guy I know that said most bike shops should do that. he recommended Vickery on parker rd, but since it takes a lot of time, expect it to cost a lot of money too.

i plan to continue reading and researching the process to get a better idea of how to do it, before i start. I still haven't decided if I will do it myself or not. as I said it seems to be as much an art as a science, and i'm not sure I want to learn an art on my CBR.

Old 10-20-2010, 05:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by colorado_steve
i live 6,700 feet above sea level and need to rejet, clean and sync my carbs, what kits are you guys that live at altitude using? dont really know anything about carbs but the work needs to be done so i am gonna cross my fingers, buy a repair manual and dive in during the winter months
Hello fellow 5280 riders. The way to go about it is to go to a shop with a dyno, they will help you jet your bike properly according to the altitude you need. I just went into this shop off 13th and I25 called Faster Motorsports and talked to the manager Ian O'connor and he said they will dyno your bike for free if you buy the jets though them. Im sure most shops are like this especially in winter. They will also sync the carbs and all that good stuff too when working on your bike.
Try this place they were really cool 303 825 0975 999 Vallejo St. Unit 3

This site has a lot of great information, especially the chart that gives your the correction factor for temp vs altitude. Check it out but I would leave it to a professional... mainly because its all free.

http://hondanighthawks.net/carb14.htm

Keep us posted on what you do and the effects you notice. I really just want to rejet my bike because I get horrible gas milage around here for a f3

Is 30 to 34mpg what you Colorado folk get?

Old 10-20-2010, 08:18 PM

I have pulled my carbs out 9 times trying different adjustments/settings- I am at 4570 ft and running 135|138|138|135 (OEM Sea Level jets) with the needle clip 1 out from center and the pilot jets 1/2 turn out on my bike, with a two brothers slip-on, K&N filter, and an ignition advancer. I used an Air/ Fuel Meter to adjust it and its running great. Running a little lean on the top end, but not enough for me to tear back into it before winter (I plan on moving it up 1/2 clip). I also removed all the Cali emissions stuff...

I should also note that the washers packman was refering to are for the needle, not the jets, the more washers the farther out the needle sits and the richer it will be. OEM recomends 135's across all 4 carbs if no modifications are made to the bike.

Check out this install manual- it helped me understand what needed to be done to adjust the jet kit my bike already had when i bought it.

http://www.dynojet.com/pdf/1157.pdf

Old 10-21-2010, 10:17 AM

thanks for the correction, like i said i've never done it so i may be wrong about some things.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:20 AM

hootie i get 42-48, however i'm also +2 on the rear and no speedo healer, so it's probably not that good. i emailed faster through their site and never got a response, but i planned to call them as they were recommended by someone on another forum.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:45 AM

I get 45-48 around town usually. I've never gone through a full tank of highway riding- but when I did a half in town and half highway trip it was up to 51. Sure beats the hell out of the 16city/18 highway of my Escalade. ha ha ha

Old 10-21-2010, 11:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by espelade
I get 45-48 around town usually. I've never gone through a full tank of highway riding- but when I did a half in town and half highway trip it was up to 51. Sure beats the hell out of the 16city/18 highway of my Escalade. ha ha ha
WOW there must be something horribly wrong with my bike. It rides like a champ though so thats weird.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:49 PM

Before my recent re-jet/tune I was getting 35-38 (with 138|140|140|138 jets and a centered needle clip). I think dropping the needle clip made the biggest change because before when I revved it in neutral it would pour black smoke above 9K even with the 135|138|138|135 jets. It has a little less top-end power now but its my daily commute bike- I rarely have it above 6-7k RPM, so I'm OK with that for now.

I should also mention I bought my bike in Las Vegas- it had 140|142.5|142.5|140 jets in it- it still ran just fine, but would have black smoke, flames and decel popping from the exhaust (it would even leave black spots on the building where I parked it when I warmed it up)- along with 30-35 mpg. Those were the main reasons I started tinkering with the jetting- took me a full year to get it right.

My reccomendation-tape a piece of white paper to a wall then back your bike up so the exhaust can exits right onto the paper. Start it up and give the throttle a few blips. Its a quick poor mans Air/Fuel ratio gauge. There shouldn't be any gray or black soot on the paper. LOL