CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

The issues just never stop

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 10:19 AM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah, one of the plug may be foul (white)....

I'll flush the radi...bike love that. Replace brake fluid...just small jobs like this really gets you up close and personal with your babe.

One thing I must suggest is a torque wench, so you'll tighten those bolts, nuts, fairing screws to correct lbs. You wouldn't want a fairing bolt vibrating loose on distance ride.

Enjoy...

Old 11-30-2012, 03:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so again, the problems never seize to stop. Drove it to school about 15 miles ran good as new. went to class, started right up and then two miles away from my house it felt like it just was running out of gas and was studdering. Stalled out and pulled over. tried to start her back up and all it did was click like the battery was dead. Just clicked once. So I began walking. I live in PA where it's straight mountains so I came to a part where I couldn't push anymore, called a buddy to come pick me up and as soon as he got there I just tried starting it again and bam it started right up. It sputtered a little bit as I was pulling away and rode fine for the last mile and then thank God, but it sputtered and cut out as I was pulling into the driveway. I'm at a loss. I'd think it was fuel related, however, the battery felt like it was dead the first time. But then it started right up about half an hour later. Totally confused. Should I just take my carbs out and clean them or do you think it's something else? Thanks. Just wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem. It's not that damn cam tensioner thing is it?

Old 11-30-2012, 04:38 PM

Name:  image.png
Views: 86
Size:  1.14 MB
Here are the fuel pump contacts. I mean they look a little burnt, but they also look even unlike IDoDirt's write up. You think they would need to be replaced? I'm going to just start it up and see what happens with them and I'll be back here soon.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:57 PM

Ok so I started her up and the contacts on the fuel pump aren't even moving. Had it running for about five minutes, reved to about 5k rpm and still they didn't move, however, when it idles, it idles lower than it normally does (under 1k) and then cuts off. took the fairings off and what do you know, only the blue wire was connected (maybe green) the other came loose probably from the PO who said he just replaced the fuel pump. Gonna solder those up and see what happens. Think I should still replace the contacts just because? and while digging around I also found a loose hose and traced it to the coolant where you fill it up (guess it's the reservoir). Please excuse my complete ignorance of these things. But it just went straight to the ground. Does it connect somewhere or no? I also saw that it looks like there should be a hose running to the black cap of the fuel pump, but thats the only hose I see from the coolant. That doesn't go there does it? The only other hose is from the gas tank but its too big to fit in the fuel pump and I think that's just supposed to be hanging down. Am I wrong?
This...
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  71.7 KB

Last edited by NvrStpLearning; 11-30-2012 at 05:50 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:11 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I applaud anyone wanting to work on their bike.
There is a curve to bringing a used bike up to it's former glory.
Don't get too discouraged.

Get an owner's manual. The factory, for sure...the Clymers is (imo) the best after-market.
Read it, study it, become familiar with how it all goes together and works.

You asked about winter chores...I'd recommend changing ALL fluids,
(brake, coolant and oil). Look up all scheduled maintenance for your bike,
based on mileage...and do it all. Assume that the PO, barely remembered to check the oil,
let alone, changed it. Same with all of the rest of the basics.

Don't neglect a through inspection of the harness and connectors.
The most ignored, most critical sub-system.

Take your time and have fun! Look at this aspect, as an exciting, expansion
on the whole sport of motorcycling.

Good luck, Ern

Old 12-01-2012, 08:20 AM

All I have right now is the downloadable service manual for it so far. I will do an inspection of my wiring harness when I go to clean up the front end after all is said and done. As for the coolant hose...I found a diagram on 3-16 of the manual (p 146) and its a little hard to understand. I think the one its talking about is the siphon tube that i have loose, but it is connected to the top of the coolant reservoir. Not sure if its the "breather tube" or the "siphon tube" or neither in this case. Anyone have a better diagram or thoughts? Again its the hose coming out of the top of the radiator reserve tank. Thanks