CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Bike randomly dying

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 01:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike randomly dying

I just got my first bike, 97 CBR 600 F3, great bike, lovin' it! Although I've been having a problem.

The first time it happened to me I was riding on the highway in the carpool lane on the left side (so no shoulder) and I stopped throttling it for a second, tried to throttle it, and the bike started dying. I immediately tried downshifting and got all the way down to first but I still couldn't get the bike to work. Cars were flying by me. Real scary. Somehow got the bike started up and dipped.

It happened to me again exiting the freeway, and starting up the bike wasn't so easy this time. It would try and turn over but just wouldn't. Eventually I put the choke on and it worked.

It happened again today and I went to go fill up. Bike hasn't died since.

I wasn't completely out of fuel though... I could still see some at the bottom. I filled up 2.5 gallons at the gas station so I knew there was definitely still some fuel in there.

What could be causing this?

The guy gave me some airflow pipes that he took off that he said got in the way, it might be that, but I'm not sure.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:05 PM

The guy gave me some airflow pipes that he took off that he said got in the way, it might be that, but I'm not sure.
So a huge corporation like Honda, with massive R & D resources, built a bike which gained plaudits all over the world & a "guy took off some airflow pipes because they got in the way"! Crazy.
Sounds like you're talking about the DAI pipes, which could be the problem, although they actually can be removed if its done properly. Personally, I'd put them back if only to eliminate them - there's a diagram of the routing & connections on top of the air box but make sure the solenoid valve is working - you can hear it click when the ignition is turned on. Having said that, I had a similar problem to yours a while back which hasn't happened in over a year since I re-routed the breather pipe from the tank to ensure it wasn't kinked.

Old 11-21-2012, 05:35 PM

make sure the breather tube from the tank isnt clogged or getting pinched on anything, i had a similar issue with mine. just blew some compressed air through the hose and it hasnt happened since.
but if it does happen again, try opening the gas tank, if that hose is the problem the gas cap wont 'pop' open like it should, in my case i had to use the little flap to pry it open. pressure equalizes and youre good till it happens again lol

Old 11-22-2012, 10:47 AM

Thanks for the responses fellas! I will definitely check out the breather tube like you guys said.

I did find where the tubes that I had go. They run along the left side of the bike and sit in the front fairing under the head light. In my manual, it just called them "air tubes".

Old 11-22-2012, 12:29 PM

if the PO bypassed the air solenoid then you wont need those tubes, but if the sol is still there you will want to re-install them.

Old 11-22-2012, 04:24 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also check out the r/r. If it begins to fail, it chokes current to the ignition.
After it cools down, works ok for a bit, heats up again, engine shuts down.

Check out these threads...

Charging System Diagnostics - Rectifier/Regulator Upgrade - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums

https://cbrforum.com/forum/f2-tech-9...-solved-27739/

Technical Resources - Resources for Electrical Systems on Motorcycles and ATVs - ElectroSport

Good luck, Ern

Old 11-27-2012, 09:39 AM

Alright haven't done anything you guys said yet except reconnect the air tubes. So far, still dying on the highway. Died on me today on my way to school. Pulled over, couldn't get it to start. Even with the choke. Popped the tank open, let some air in, then closed it and it started right up.

Does this narrow anything down?

Old 11-27-2012, 10:52 AM

Also, I can go on short rides no problem. However, when I ride for long stretches at higher rpms (6-7) it does this.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:49 PM

Alright haven't done anything you guys said yet except reconnect the air tubes. So far, still dying on the highway. Died on me today on my way to school. Pulled over, couldn't get it to start. Even with the choke. Popped the tank open, let some air in, then closed it and it started right up.

Does this narrow anything down?
That definately sounds like a blocked/kinked breather pipe. Its causing a vacuum which eventually means no fuel is getting to the carbs. Actually, it sounds more like its probably only partially blocked given that you can do shorter/slower rides O.K.

Old 11-27-2012, 01:59 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

BTW Jeff, Welcome to CBRF. :-)

Hope you get the issue sorted quickly.

Quick Reply: Bike randomly dying