CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

idle issues after cleaning carb

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 03:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default idle issues after cleaning carb

so i picked up this really nice 96 cbr600 from craigslist. guy said he hasnt used the bike in a long time and it wouldnt start. i knew it probably was not getting any gas. so after $1000, i took the bike home taking the risk.

i spent the whole next day taking the carbs off and cleaning it with carb cleaner and pressurized air. put new gas in also.

so when i got it started the idle was just a little weird. i cant really explain that well so i have a video. i have a video and some pictures.

let me know if you guys think thats normal and if the engine sounds a little weird.

also, it has a slip on vanes and hines.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_rSCzaich95U/Sj...2/IMG_3622.JPG

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_rSCzaich95U/Sj...6/IMG_3619.JPG

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_rSCzaich95U/Sj...2/IMG_3621.JPG

video coming up...still uploading...

Old 06-14-2009, 03:42 PM

a little summary...bike idles at 1500rpm +/- 200rpm. when i twist the throttle, the needle goes down slow and stays at 2k rpm for a little bit and goes back down. i heard some weird engine noises too...

right after i cleaned it, i heard some knocking by the head area. (spark plugs/no gas?)

by the way, not sure if this is the right forum too...sorry!

mods pls move if i have this in the wrong forum.

Old 06-14-2009, 03:59 PM
Old 06-14-2009, 04:27 PM

that seams to be about normal fro that year of bike.It sounds ok on the video no knocking that i can hear. should be a good bike for you.

Old 06-14-2009, 04:49 PM

white--> thanks. so if it stops at 2k, that's normal?

the knocking sound i heard was when i barely got it started. it wait away now. im just worried it might come back.

did you notice/hear the whining sounds when the needle starts to go down after revving the engine?

also, i noticed, when i took the carbs out, oil below the carbs and some on the valves. am i missing something?

Old 06-14-2009, 06:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The motor sounds ok to me, but I'm a deaf old bastard. One of the things most common on the bikes that I have had when they pause at one idle spot (yours at 2000 rpm) is a simple adjustment/lube of the throttle cables.
The knocking sound could have been a sticky valve or a build up of fuel in one or more chambers causing pre detonation, not uncommon for bikes that have had trouble starting & then left sitting for a while. As for the oil? Clean it up, & check later to see if it comes back.
Its very easy to dump oil on the motor while working on them & once gravity & heat get involved, can deposit it all over the place. Oil leaks will put a build up of oil beneath the motor (& eventually on the garage floor).
Maybe all your bike needs is a decent run to blow away the cobwebs.
Good luck, keep us posted.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:36 PM

Pacemaker good info you have. Thanks. Where do you suggest I lube the cable? By the handle bar or carbs? I also hve not heard the knocking since yesterday.

One thing I remember that the previous owner sao is that he always filled it with oil because it leaks. Could he have put too much oil and actually went to the cylinders?

Also, I found that there's a leak by the stator side. The previous owner overtorqued one screw and broke it inside the hole. I'm going to have to drill it out or something. Any ideas?

Old 06-14-2009, 11:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bamer02
Pacemaker good info you have. Thanks. Where do you suggest I lube the cable? By the handle bar or carbs? I also hve not heard the knocking since yesterday.

One thing I remember that the previous owner sao is that he always filled it with oil because it leaks. Could he have put too much oil and actually went to the cylinders?

Also, I found that there's a leak by the stator side. The previous owner overtorqued one screw and broke it inside the hole. I'm going to have to drill it out or something. Any ideas?
Boy the previous owner sounds like a piece of work.
Yes, if he was so cavalier about caring for the bike he could have over filled it (unfeeling bastard), the increase in oil pressure would/could certainly cause those problems.
There are a few methods to get out the bolt, Ezy outs are one solution, hopefully the bolt will be easy to undo. I wonder if the stator is the oil leak he was talking about? If not, the trouble with oil leaks is they never get better, but usually require gasket/seal replacement.
There are a few gizmos on the market for lubing your cables without the need to totally dismantle them

Old 06-15-2009, 12:35 AM

the stator cover is leaking on the bottom. it's the one that's missing the bolt. yup, he is. but it's still a good deal considering it is already running good.

im gonna have to look into ezy outs and drills to push or pull it out. at least the bolt hole goes through. i could probably just turn the broken bolt forward.

Old 06-15-2009, 01:25 PM

Failing all that, make sure you ran the throttle cables correctly during reassembly (there are two of them on your bike). I had a similar (but not identical) problem, and it was because I thereaded them upside-down. Additionally, make sure they're routed properly up to the handle, and not pinched by anything.

As for extractors, believe it or not, those "Grabit" ones you see in the infomercials are excellent, and cheap. I ended up using my set when my buddy's $200 Snap-On set couldn't get the job done. You know those tiny screws way deep inside you have to loosen to slip the carbs off? The dumb**** dealer who installed the jetkit originally stripped TWO of them. Snap-On kit just wouldn't grab them right, but the cheapo Grabits got the job done with ease.

http://www.4grabit.com/Default.asp?bhcp=1

Also, you should be doing all the maintenence that I bet the original owner never did: replace your plugs and filters. Did you remember to remove the jets and soak them \ blow them out while you were cleaning the carbs? It doesn't sound liek a jet issue, but eh.

Last edited by johnnyx; 06-15-2009 at 01:31 PM.

Quick Reply: idle issues after cleaning carb