Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 11:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to turbo a f3?

can someone help me out with the steps?

Old 08-17-2008, 03:18 AM
Default RE: How to turbo a f3?

I have never done this mod but I think I can point you in the right direction. This mod has been done by another person on this site I have the pictures of the turbo installed. I will try to write up a quick list of parts you need and what they do.

TURBO- you will have to find a small turbo for this project. Small turbos spool up quick and you will have a better reaction time. It is best to find a turbo with a built in adjustable wastegate.

BLOW OFF VALVE- Find a adjustable blow off valve to regulate the amount of PSI going in the custom fabricated air box. This will prevent too much air from entering the engine and causing unwanted damage.

EXHAUST HEADER AND EXHAUST PIPE- You have to have a F3 exhaust header modified so that the four pipes of the header meat into the exhaust gases input flange plate which also needs to be the same shape of the turbo flange. On the other side of the turbo is the exhaust gases output. With this side you should have pipe fabricated to run from there to you muffler.

FABRICATED AIR BOX- With the increase of boost running through you airbox it will have to be stronger. In order to do this you should have air box constructed from aluminum. You might be able to get away with the stock air box because you will not be running that much boost but I am not sure.

FUEL JETTING- With increased air flow you will also need increased fuel flow. A jet kit will need to be installed which will also need to be properly tuned. Also your curberetor will need to be tuned also.

TURBO COOLING- You will have to keep the turbo cool in order to do this you must use oil from the engine to do this. You will have to run a oil line from your oil pan to the turbo and back to the oil pan. You will also need to install a small electric oil pump after the turbo to add in the cooling of the turbo. There is a part called a filter sandwich that makes this a easy task. With the filter sandwich you will not need to tap your oil pan because it allows you to access the engine oil via the oil filter. Also do not forget about the small electric oil pump this is very important.

AIR HOSES AND PIPES- These two parts will be needed. In order to get the air flow that is created from the turbo up to the air box you will need some sort of aluminum tubing and some hoses. The tube will have to be custom made to bend and twist as needed with a diameter that insure positive airflow. On this tube you will install the BLOW OFF VALVE near the top before the air box.

BOOST CONTROLLER AND HOW MUCH BOOST. You will need a boost controller to increase or decrease the mount of boost you want. How much boost for this engine that I am not sure about but off the top of my head I would on the safe side start out with 2 to 3 PSI and go from there. Remember for this size engine not much boost is needed to maintain a constant supply of air to the curbs. So do your research on this.

BOOST GAUGE- Install a boost gauge near you gauge to see how much boost you are running.

BRAKES- Make sure you brake system is in proper working order meaning new pads, and fluid. You can also upgrade to stronger brake lines for added stopping power. With power on tap you must be able to stop also.

I think thats pretty much it off the top of my head. I know CBRfeaver had this done to his F3 and there are others out there that have done this modification to other bikes. Searching the internet I am sure you can find alot of info on how to do this project. I hope I was able to help and if anyone has any question just hit me up. I plan to do this mod when I get some time so I will take notes and pictures.

[IMG]local://upfiles/6966/04E49CD192874C2A8B45480ADAA09688.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/6966/931C8856687A4722BDFBF17833EBD5E3.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-17-2008, 08:43 AM
Default RE: How to turbo a f3?

That bike in the pics look KINDA FAMSTER. i mean fast and silver