CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

how to take the carbs off any help?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 12:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to take the carbs off any help?

hey guys I'm back with a problem in hand. Soo my bike is turning over but it's not wanting to start I have to try and crank it forever!!! For it to fire up if I try and crank it without the choke on it just turns over and over. When I do use the choke it back fires sometimes after playing with it I can get it running, but it runs like the carbs are dirty. I have to get into the throttle like half way to all the way into it. Then it only holds at about 3k rpms, but after a little while of that, and I do mean maybe a minuet or less it will run fine. Well idle ok it’s still giving me problems when I’m riding it about being sluggish around the 3 to 5 rpm range. So this morning I tried and tried to get it to start but nothing. It tried to run for a few seconds but cut out. Now I know it gets flooded out with gas at times I can smell it so I just stop and let it rest. I mean do you guys think I need to take the carbs off and clean them? I’m not real sure at this point. I know I need to get new spark plugs at this point. But any help would be amazing. If you know any site where I can see how to take the carbs off would be lots of help too.

Anyways guys thanks for your time again.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:03 PM

Was it sitting for a while? if it sits for an extended period of time, the fuel system can gum up and lead to this problem. With the bikes age and me not being sure of mileage and what not, Id say the carbs could use a good overhaul.

As far as the carbs coming off, I believe you have to pull the tank and the airbox to expose them. The there should be some rubber couplers that attach them to the intake. Not 100% though......Ive got an F4i and not sure how different they are

Old 11-17-2010, 01:14 PM

If you know for sure the plugs need to be replaced go that route first. My katana was carbed and when I started playing in the area where the carbs were, it just lead to a path I really didn't want to go down, but that is just me. If you are going to take the fuel tank off anyway check out the air filter and make sure that checks out to your satisfaction.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by madtaz10665
Was it sitting for a while? if it sits for an extended period of time, the fuel system can gum up and lead to this problem. With the bikes age and me not being sure of mileage and what not, Id say the carbs could use a good overhaul.

As far as the carbs coming off, I believe you have to pull the tank and the airbox to expose them. The there should be some rubber couplers that attach them to the intake. Not 100% though......Ive got an F4i and not sure how different they are

nah I ride it every day I think this alll goes back to me adding some seafoam to the gas. I put the 1oz to a gallon like they say.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by ga_skyline_rydr
If you know for sure the plugs need to be replaced go that route first. My katana was carbed and when I started playing in the area where the carbs were, it just lead to a path I really didn't want to go down, but that is just me. If you are going to take the fuel tank off anyway check out the air filter and make sure that checks out to your satisfaction.
I know what you mean about katana and carb problems I've got a nightmare story haha.

but I've pull the tank off dumped all the gas, and looked at the air filter. It looks good to me.
I just say it need new plugs because off all the trying to start, backfiring deal.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by shigga
I know what you mean about katana and carb problems I've got a nightmare story haha.

but I've pull the tank off dumped all the gas, and looked at the air filter. It looks good to me.
I just say it need new plugs because off all the trying to start, backfiring deal.

Yeah with the back firing that is a dead ringer for plugs. When my kat back fired changing out the plugs solved that too. Another thing to think about is the idle control. I noticed on all my carb bikes when the average temps changed like say around 20 degree average change the idle control had to be tweaked just ever so slightly to compensate for the temp change. Then again I ride all year round regardless of temps. A little off of the topic but if you have some time on your hands real soon do you want to meet up for a ride say like half way between Albany and Cumming, let me know. Good luck with the bike fix.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:14 PM

hey guys I'm back with a problem in hand. Soo my bike is turning over but it's not wanting to start I have to try and crank it forever!!! For it to fire up if I try and crank it without the choke on it just turns over and over. When I do use the choke it back fires sometimes after playing with it I can get it running, but it runs like the carbs are dirty. I have to get into the throttle like half way to all the way into it. Then it only holds at about 3k rpms, but after a little while of that, and I do mean maybe a minuet or less it will run fine. Well idle ok it’s still giving me problems when I’m riding it about being sluggish around the 3 to 5 rpm range. So this morning I tried and tried to get it to start but nothing. It tried to run for a few seconds but cut out. Now I know it gets flooded out with gas at times I can smell it so I just stop and let it rest. I mean do you guys think I need to take the carbs off and clean them? I’m not real sure at this point. I know I need to get new spark plugs at this point. But any help would be amazing. If you know any site where I can see how to take the carbs off would be lots of help too.

Anyways guys thanks for your time again.

Check out this video, this guy does alot of good matinence vids for f3's

part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXoDX1RzBJ4

part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPwbAEI5lm4

theres also a good write up that talks about removing and cleaning the carbs on a f3 which I guess are pretty much the same.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by ga_skyline_rydr
Yeah with the back firing that is a dead ringer for plugs. When my kat back fired changing out the plugs solved that too. Another thing to think about is the idle control. I noticed on all my carb bikes when the average temps changed like say around 20 degree average change the idle control had to be tweaked just ever so slightly to compensate for the temp change. Then again I ride all year round regardless of temps. A little off of the topic but if you have some time on your hands real soon do you want to meet up for a ride say like half way between Albany and Cumming, let me know. Good luck with the bike fix.
sure sounds good to me. I just gotta get this girl running right lol. when I get home from work I'm gonna get out there and pull the plugs. maybe clean the carbs too. I do think my idle control had a lot to do with this. what the bike needs is a good tune up hahaha

Old 11-17-2010, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Hootie233
Check out this video, this guy does alot of good matinence vids for f3's

part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXoDX1RzBJ4

part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPwbAEI5lm4

theres also a good write up that talks about removing and cleaning the carbs on a f3 which I guess are pretty much the same.
Thank a lot man, as soon as I'm done with work I'll check it out. I'm busy running down shoplifters haha. gotta love your work.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:14 PM

sure sounds good to me. I just gotta get this girl running right lol. when I get home from work I'm gonna get out there and pull the plugs. maybe clean the carbs too. I do think my idle control had a lot to do with this. what the bike needs is a good tune up hahaha

Of course another way to take care of problems like this at least in a thrilling way is to run triple figures on the bike and that should blow out all of the **** in the system. Of course I didn't say that.

Quick Reply: how to take the carbs off any help?