CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

HOUSTON: My bike broke down

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 07:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOUSTON: My bike broke down

Ok guys something very weird just happened and I dont know where to start.
I turned my bike on yesterday let it wrm up, turned it off, covered it.
Today I was going for a ride, turn it on, fine no problems, but right before I leave I decided to check ho wmuch gas i had...so I turned it off and did just that. When I went to turn it on it had no intentions of turning on...then a loud pop with a fireball came out of exhaust and that was the last sound it made.
I havent started to test anything, but where should I start?
THe RPM gauge is completely still...it doesnt flicker at all when I try to start.
Has anyone ever had this happen to them? BTW the bike was running 100% before.

HELP![&o]

Old 02-01-2007, 07:46 PM
Banned
Default RE: HOUSTON: My bike broke down

You do more harm by idling your bike to, "warm it up," than you would by letting it sit there. You may have had moisture build up in the carbs causing it to backfire.

I'm not sure about using Heet on bikes, and if so how much - but I would start by making sure the gas is free of excessive moisture.

Old 02-01-2007, 09:08 PM

Hmm would that explain however not wanting to even TRY to start anymore? I mean I wouldnt be surprised if I had no spark or soemthing

Old 02-02-2007, 03:42 AM
Banned

What does thumbing the starter do exactly? Does it crank and just not start, or does it not even crank? May sound stoopid but...

Make sure the kill switch is in the, "run" position. Make sure you are in neutral, if you're in gear, you've got to put the sidestand up.

Make sure everything is set, then thumb the starter and tell me what it's doing (cranking or not). Could have fouled your plugs as well. How many miles on the bike? Have you ever changed the plugs on it and if so, when?

Old 02-02-2007, 04:22 AM

like kid said it is not a good idea to just warm the bike up without riding it . u have to actually ride n get the bike to normal operation to do any good . is the batt dead ? if it is take it out charge it see if it holds a charge

Old 02-02-2007, 09:20 AM

You mentioned something strange:
" THe RPM gauge is completely still...it doesnt flicker at all when I try to start."
This makes me think that it might be an electrical problem or something with you're CDI. The ref counter should atleast show something when you turn the engine.

Old 02-02-2007, 09:48 PM

OK this is exactly what it does when I try to start her: All I know is that the starter is definitely turning, the battery is fully charged. But it doesnt sputter at all not even a tiny bit. Like if it had abosolutely no spark and no gas.
And then also is the RPM needle is just buried still...doesnt even shiver a tiny bit. Bike has 23K. THe plugs are new not even 3K, keep throwing ideas please. I wont get to play with it for a few days, but I just want to make a list of things to tackle. THanks in advance!

Old 02-03-2007, 04:22 PM

The ref counter is dead which tells that your CDI isn't on or isn't.This should atleast move if you turn the engine (even if it's flooded or not getting gas) working properly because the RPMs pulses come directly from the CDI.
I'd start by checking if the bike starts when you put it in neutral. If it does it's probably you're sidestand switch.
If that doesn't work check all the other switches related to this part of the wiring. If I remember correctly those include the sidestand switch, neutral switch and the switch on the clutch and of course the run switch.(Try and get you're self a manual or a wiring diagram)

Old 02-03-2007, 06:44 PM

SOrry, whats the CDI? THe bike is definitely in neutral. When the bike is in gear and kickstand is down, and you try to start it, the starter doesnt even spin. However, in my case, the starter does spin. Is the CDI related to the kickstand?

Old 02-03-2007, 09:10 PM

CDI stand for cacpcitivie disharge ignition heres a link to one on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA...spagenameZWDVW

Quick Reply: HOUSTON: My bike broke down