CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Help me!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 09:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me!!!!

I'm getting so frustrated I'm half tempted to sell it. It's causing me lots of heartache and stress not to mention time and money. My 96 f3 was acting like it was running out of gas and leaving me stranded far from home. I disconnected the fuel pump output and it wasn't pumping gas. so I replaced the fuel pump. Still no luck. Checked the fuel filter and it was not allowing fuel through so I just flat out took it out. Now I tested the new pump after that and it pumps gas. The bike started up but was running really rough. I tried to give it gas and it just killed it. Let it sit a couple days and started it up this morning and let it idle for about 10 minutes and sounded fine. Took it out on a short ride and about a mile from home it acted like it ran out of fuel. Just before it died it sounded really rough again. So yes I pushed it all the way home. Good workout by the way. Does it sound like something as simple as dirty air filter (which it is, just haven't replaced it yet) and dirty carbs? I don't know. Gonna try to take apart the carbs today and spray some cleaner in it. And if I get around to it gonna change the plugs today whether they need it or not. I figured while I have the airbox off I'll change the plugs.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:35 AM

Fuel pump relay try bypassing it.
Remove really and strap Black/White to Black/Blue
If that works order a new relay.

Last edited by broadie; 04-05-2010 at 09:39 AM.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:36 AM

but the pump is working...

Old 04-05-2010, 09:39 AM

ok, its not the air filter or it would affect it from the start. i dont have an f3 my self but since no other answers here goes. yes clean the carbs. while they're off drain your tank. it sounds to me like something is in your fuel that is settling and then clogging back up when you ride be it dirt or water. also if you have petcocks (1 or 2) check it or them. ive had one bike that would act up because it was fault. once the tank is empty shake the h ell out of it to see if you can hear anything in it that you cant see with a light. my bet is that you have trash in your carbs though. if the filter was clogged completly chances are some crap pushed through. good luck with it.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by broadie
Fuel pump relay try bypassing it.
Remove really and strap Black/White to Black/Blue
If that works order a new relay.
sorry. there is one answer. i was typing when you posted that.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by bikerboy46032
but the pump is working...
Might not work all of the time when hot.
It takes a minute to do this and the relays tend to play up rather than just fail.
If I'm right it will save you hours pissing in the wind.
If I'm wrong It's only 5 minutes

Old 04-05-2010, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by james_hale2
ok, its not the air filter or it would affect it from the start. i dont have an f3 my self but since no other answers here goes. yes clean the carbs. while they're off drain your tank. it sounds to me like something is in your fuel that is settling and then clogging back up when you ride be it dirt or water. also if you have petcocks (1 or 2) check it or them. ive had one bike that would act up because it was fault. once the tank is empty shake the h ell out of it to see if you can hear anything in it that you cant see with a light. my bet is that you have trash in your carbs though. if the filter was clogged completely chances are some crap pushed through. good luck with it.
i drained the tank the other day and shook it. Sounded like there was a coin or something in it. Never saw it come out but it came out sometime because i used a flash light to look in the tank when i couldn't hear it anymore and saw nothing.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by broadie
Might not work all of the time when hot.
It takes a minute to do this and the relays tend to play up rather than just fail.
If I'm right it will save you hours pissing in the wind.
If I'm wrong It's only 5 minutes
ok I'll try it but have no idea what i'm doing. where's the relay?

Old 04-05-2010, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by james_hale2
sorry. there is one answer. i was typing when you posted that.
No worries

How about strap out the relay undo the float bowl drain's then turn on the ignition. this will flush the carbs OK its not the same as cleaning them out but it could save time.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:57 AM

Should be under the seat or side panel but cant say for sure as my motor is fitted into a CBR400 gullarm