CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

HELP bike acting jive as hell. gas / filter problem?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 03:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP bike acting jive as hell. gas / filter problem?

Hi all, just got a 95 F3 as my second bike after riding a KLR250 since last summer. I even rode it in the snow, loved that bike

Anyway, had the bike for about 1.5 weeks and today, RANDOMLY, I fired it up after work and its starts perfectly, but as im riding away it sp-sp-sputters as if its out of gas (checked, had a full tank) and then dies. This happened a few more times in the quarter mile I rode before stopping at wendys to glance over the bike. Full tank, hmm... never happened before.

I eventually got home, although it was scary as hell. first, shift, keep going, then second gear around 5-6k it bugs out on me.

IF I pull the clutch in, it will die
IF I DON'T, it will sputter, then seems gas will suddenly POUR in and give a great burst of power and im good until I get lower revs or shift up. Seems to happen if im shifting between gears as well.

Dirty petcock? dirty fuel filter? How can I clean the fuel filter lol.

(just installed ape CCT last week)

Bike has 24500 miles on it! I noticed this first time last week when driving with my friend on the back, it would lose power up a hill but then regain power on flat/downhill.

ANY IDEAS?!?! I gotta go to work tomorrow cant have this happening on me!

Old 08-09-2010, 04:40 PM

fuel pump maybe!!!

Old 08-09-2010, 05:13 PM

checked my fuel pump thing that the guy did in the fix up. everything looks perfect and clean. gunna take my tank off, god i hate fairings...LOL

Old 08-09-2010, 05:22 PM

EDIT, what happens is when i give it gas, it dies...WHAT THE F. WHY WOULD THIS HAPPEN OUT OF NOWHERE?!!!!!

Old 08-09-2010, 05:32 PM
Official Welcome Crew Spicy Cat
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you dont know how old your fuel filter is, replace it, it costs 4 bucks at walmart.

sounds fuel related, so that includes everything all the way down to the carbs.
how do your plugs look?

Old 08-09-2010, 08:37 PM

GUYS...i put in 93 octane and problem seems to have gone away? when its chugging, it regains power much quicker than the ****TY BP 87 i was using. NEVER USE BP!!

I will also check my plugs. sounds like they dirty. bought it used, who knows when the last time they were done!!

Old 08-09-2010, 08:53 PM

go out and ride that bitch hard for a while, burn up some gas and get it nice and hot. that will help even out your plugs and get fuel moving thru the system, in case you got a slug of bad gas or something

Old 08-10-2010, 07:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by miksane
GUYS...i put in 93 octane and problem seems to have gone away? when its chugging, it regains power much quicker than the ****TY BP 87 i was using. NEVER USE BP!!
i tried to start mine on 87 one day because the tank was empty and i used gas we had sittin in our can at home..wouldnt even start

dont run 87.. the manual says to run 91 and i run 92 or 93 all the time with no problems. im sure most of the other guys on here do as well. you have a 4 gallon tank..spend a little extra for premium.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:02 PM

EDIT...new gas and seafoam, still runs like damn ****. WTF. this happened out of nowhere, i am getting fuuuurios...i give it gas and it stall out, if i keep giving gas it just chugs chugs chugs and then BAM power just catches up...

for the fuel pump, is it supposed to be ticking at all times? my doesnt tick...

Old 08-10-2010, 10:46 PM

It sounds to me like the fuel pump. Why don't you try setting up a gravity feed temporarily? Pull your tank off and run one or your fuel lines directly to your carbs (no fuel filter or pump) and tape a funnel to the other end of the hose. Hold the funnel up and pour some gas into it. Start the bike and try blipping the throttle and reving it with the gravity feed system. If it works this way you've narrowed the problem down to either your fuel pump, relay, or filter. Pretty simple way to start troubleshooting. I'd say the octane was just a coincidence with the fuel pump problem being intermittent.

Quick Reply: HELP bike acting jive as hell. gas / filter problem?