CBR 600F3 1995 - 1998 CBR 600F3 Forum

Hard to start please read

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 02:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard to start please read

I know to search I searched and searched couldnt really find a answer I work 14 hour days so its hard to search in detail. ok here is my problem It takes forever for my bike to start just cranks and cranks but once it starts it runs great lots of power idles fine i can cut the bike off go into the store start bike back up fine but if it sits for bout 3 hours same thing just cranks and cranks i can roll start it some times but its just being an a$$ to start up i cleaned the carbs twice drained the gas put fresh 93 octain new plugs fuel pump and battery i checked its getting spark and gas just wont turn over after sitting thanks for reading any help will be greatly apperacited

Old 07-17-2009, 02:29 PM

Common prob on the carbed bikes. On mine, I have to turn the idle **** up a bit to get it to turn over, then I turn it back down. It's just a thing; no worries. Everyone's is different.

Fiddle with the throttle and the choke and the idle ****, and eventually you'll figure out what you rbikes "secret password" is to get it started. It doesn't mean anything's wrong per se, it's just how it is.

Is your biked jetted, or have aftermarket exhaust or airbox upgrades? If so, that can compound the issue. Still not a problem, just requires different fiddling.

Old 07-17-2009, 02:33 PM

does it start if you give it choke? does it stumble when it finally starts or just run fine? will it start if you blip the throttle when cranking?

Old 07-17-2009, 05:12 PM

messed with idle screw and choke i had dirt bikes and four wheelers before i know some times they are finicky but this problem seems uncommon full choke half choke no choke it doesn't matter its just a turd to start

Old 07-17-2009, 06:42 PM

you say it runs fine when it actually does start? thats weird. theres only a couple things needed for it to run. spark, fuel, air, and compression. we can rule out compression because if you had none, it wouldnt run at all. you said it gets spark and fuel, so that leaves air... but if it runs fine once started, then it cant be air. did you do the trick where you take youre fuel line off the carbs, and hold it into a bucket and tried to start the motor and see if it flows out at a healthy rate?

how does the exhaust smell once you get it running? rich? what rpms do you hover at at idle? once it starts, what rpms does it go to and drop down to?

Old 07-17-2009, 07:08 PM

A lean bike is very hard to start. You may have to turn your pilot screws out. I recently had this problem and fixed it with richening up the pilot jets a bit. She takes half a second to start up now.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:51 AM

Just a guess but try letting the bike sit for a moment with the ignition on. This will allow the fuel pump to get fuel to the float bowels. It definitely sounds like you are running lean. Is the bike due for some carburetor work? How many miles do you have on it?
Good luck
mikey

Old 07-18-2009, 09:07 AM

once it starts it idles at 1500 or so gotta adjust idle screw some but it will maintain it once started i dont know about the carb work i just bought the bike in feb. it has 26000 miles it ran great till about 3 weeks ago the wifey and i jumped on the bike took about a 200 mile ride got back the next day went to start it to go to work and thats when it all started i thank all of you for your help and ill try some of the suggestions when i get a day off

Old 07-19-2009, 07:58 AM

Well the bike should idle just fine at 1200 rpms so lower it using the idle screw. Idle speed wouldn't be your problem though. Once the bike does start up, what happens if you open the throttle for a second? Does it run up the RPMs or does it bog down? Does the bike take a few minutes to start running properly?

Old 07-20-2009, 08:51 AM

once its started the bike is fine no problems throttle response is great no hesitation drives great cruzing around or wide open the only problem i have is just getting it started

Quick Reply: Hard to start please read